Paragon System-E PS schematic needed

Does anyone have a schematic for this power supply?

Failing that, can someone fill me in on the specs of this capacitor:

Sprague 36DX 540-450 WVDC 7452L

google reveals only that it is discontinued, but no specs ie, I have no clue of it's value.

Similarly, there is a quad cap in the unit that is unmarked.

The general layout of the power supply appears to be a CRCRC filter. (C1, R1, C2, R2, C3), with the two C2 R2 C3 sections attached to the initial CR in parallel.

C1 is the Sprague, the quad cap holds the other 4 caps used in the parallel CRC sections.

Each of the of the C2R2C3 sections powers one channel.

The voltages are approx. V(c1) 420, V(c2) 380, v(c3) 290.

the transformer is a 300V AC, with full wave bridge.

The PS powers a total of 6 12ax7's, 3 per channel. According to the sylvania sheet, the Plate resistance of a 12ax7 at 250V is 62.5K Ohms. If memory serves, R1 looks like 30K, R2 6.8K.

Problem is, I can't model this using the duncan amp simulator due to the parallel CRC section.

Any idea on what the quad is or better yet, SHOULD be?

Thanks for any help...

I own a Paragon System E also. I worked for an audio company back in the '70's and '80's and am pretty sure I have a blueprint for a system E (they came with them back then). Do you still need the info?
I too have a Paragon System-E, sans the power supply. Would like to build up the PS to original specs, otherwise there will be the usual song & dance to design it. If I can get a copy of the blueprint, it would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

And I too can join the group of Paragon E-1 owners. This one I have has a butchered power supply, but does work. I need to rebuild the ps. One channel has really low output and is not the tubes, volume or balance pot. Would like to get a copy of the power supply schematic too.
Thanks you guys.

I need the schematic very badly. I have one of these amps I bought in Northern CA. I guess the designer, same one of the "Blueberry" from Juicy Music, lives near me, but I lost touch. My PS module blew out something a few years back but this preamp sounded good. I just wish it had a tube in there for rectification.
I need a schematic for modification very badly to get this working again.
Thanks,
Mark :)

I have recently been sent a Paragon in need of a power supply rebuild. Quad cap? :confused:
What to do about that? The 450V cap is a 540uF I'm sure and Newark can supply one similar enough to work. The 16 V 5000uF caps can be replaced and "zip tied" easy enough. But what to with that quad cap. I thought maybe it is a tube rectifier, the case makes no sense.... I may be making new power supply(s) with modern parts, assuming you guys think this is a worthy endeavor to keep these classics alive.

Paragon power Supply

Completed the re-assembly with new caps. Used 560uF 450V and a 20uF x4 rated at 350V and new caps for the plate heater. Pictures and drawings are important since it is all point to point wire. No markings at all on the original quad cap, but 2 sections measure 50 ish. It forms a simple pie circuit with 33K and 5K resistors. This preamp has too much gain for most systems, but the sound is pretty good.

Junk Audio, I have owned a number of C-J preamps and a larger Paragon model 12 and I prefer the big Paragon. If you decide that you like the C-J gear more and want to sell the Paragon, please let me know and I will work with you on a deal. I think you will find that the Paragon will have more gain and that the C-J gear will sound more "tubey".

I've had the bigger 12 paragon before, The one I had sounded kinda mechanical. But from what I understand it was modified.

More gain may actually work out for me seeing as how, I'm using a three watt amp with a 6CG7 front end.

We'll see if I like it, But I have so much Junk audio around here, It probably won't be in the sale line up for a long time either way.

I have a 12 and a 12a. The 12 is hardwired and easier to improve than the 12a. My 12 sounds more open and ... well, it sounds better than the 12a, but the 12a still uses the stock Electrocube caps. I like the fundamental sound of this design more than any of the C-J preamps that I have owned (PV1, PV5, PV10, Premier III). But that is my taste. If I don't find a model E, then someday I may just build one from scratch if I have the time. It should be pretty easy.

You're right, The E does look like a nice home project. I wish I could get the schematic for it. I have a very nice home brew passive pre that would fit the E very nicely.

Far as the C-J, The 6 is the best one (I have that in my stacked RCA LC1-A System), The 4 is Very nice too (mine went back to the factory for an upgrade years ago). But it's not quite as nice sounding as the 6. I've also had the 5 and 8 and didn't like either one. My friend had a 10 and didn't like that either. I hear the 2ar is another one that sounds nice but haven't had the pleasure of owning one. C-J is like everybody else, (hit or miss)

Knock on wood, My 4 Has been running 16 hours a day for years now. I go over the tubes twice a year and check some voltages. Sweet sounding little pre.

Looks like I'll be changing it out with the E this winter, we'll see if it sticks to the wall..:)

I converted my PV-1 into a PV-2ar. The PV-2 and PV-6 are the best sounding C-J preamps. I think of them as being okay on the whole, but sort of mid-fi. The Premier-3 does something better, but is not as warm. The PV-5 is too fat, dark and homogeneous. The PV-10 is too thin and sounds like a toy. I thought it sucked. That is my opinion of the ones I've owned.

Having owned, studied and rebuilt both the Paragon 12 and 12A, it is safe to say that there are two ways to build an E-clone, depending on how one handles the feedback. But, to do so, one needs to know what they are doing. Every once in a while, I read about folks who think that all they need to remove tone controls from a preamp is some wire cutters. Then I read about how surprised they are that their modified preamp either doesn't work, or sounds like crap. I did have the pleasure of corresponding a bunch with Mark Deneen a few years ago. From those exchanges, I received enlightening info about the circuit and the history of the design. Mark Deneen is one of the good guys out their. To use a metaphor, Bruce Moore may have given the Paragon its birth, but Deneen raised it into a well adjusted adult "who" could function in the real world. I owned another rare Bruce Moore design, the Precision Fidelity C-4. It looked prettier than the Paragon and had an advanced audio circuit design compared to its competition (its power supply was nothing much), but compared to the Paragon, it was no match sonically.

Regarding the Model-E, I am guessing that it is a Model 12 without all the switching and tone controls. I am also guessing that it sounds pretty good. Both models use big (but sane) unregulated power supplies.

Have fun with your E.