Simple Toroid Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking at a 500VA toroid with 4x15V outputs (dual 115v inputs).

If I only need two outputs, do I tie two together (twice) to get the two outputs I need, or simply ignore two of the outputs? I need all the power, I just don't know if I can tap all the power from two of the four outputs.

To check the phase, tie one pair of the two ends together, separate windings of course, then measure the voltage across the other two ends, it should be close to zero, if it is twice the voltage of a single winding the phasing is wrong and you need to swap one wire with the other end of the same winding.

FIRST !!!!
build up a light bulb tester and use it every time you power up a new or modified mains powered project.

The phasing of both the primary and the secondary windings is absolutely critical to safe wiring of your 12wire transformer.

Second.
insert one transformer winding wire into one terminal of an insulated terminal block (you need a 12way). Do this for all 12 wires. This is to prevent accidental shorts and electrocution. Tape around the primary/mains end to prevent accidents.
Power up through the bulb.
Did the bulb light?
Did the bulb flash?
Did the bulb glow dimmly?
Did the bulb filament stay cold (no glow) throughout.

This "bulb reading" tells a lot and is easier if the glass is clear, not opaque.
Post these first results. Then we can help you to completion.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.