Power Supply for Class D: 12V AC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I am learning diy audio, and my current project is designing an amp for a friend and plan to use a pre-fab PC board that takes 12V AC and outputs 2 channels at 100W each. I am trying to find/make a decent power supply. Can anyone make any recommendations and/or direct me to readings on *AC* power supply design for audio?

Does the PCB take 12V AC from a transformer? If so, you just need to safely wire a transformer. This would need quite a high current to supply two channels of 100W even for Class D: 20A in total? You would probably need a 400VA transformer.

100W seems a bit high for a first amp, unless you are just wiring together boards designed by other people. Even then it is risky - better to start at much lower power, especially if someone else is relying on you.

You need to do some reading about mains safety in power supplies, as the mains side is the only thing you need to think about. Everything else is already decided by the amp modules you have chosen. Actually, not quite, you also need to learn about grounding.

Doing it this way you immediately have to do the two areas which can cause the most grief to newbies: safety and grounding. Not the place I would have started.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.