NTC questions for Class A

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm trying to select an NTC for a Class A PS. The filter Caps add up to 108mf in a CRC configuration (54mf-R-54mf). The output is expected to be 16v at 4A.

In looking at NTCs, the Cmax ratings are far lower than 108mf. I also noticed in Nelson Pass' F5 PS he uses CL-60s. Their Cmax rating is 5mf. I must be calcuating something wrong, because NP has more than 5mf in his PS design.

What Cmax does one use to chose the right NTC?

I'm trying to select an NTC for a Class A PS.................
In looking at NTCs, the Cmax ratings are far lower than 108mf. I also noticed in Nelson Pass' F5 PS he uses CL-60s.
Pass soft start is in the primary of the transformer.

The manufacturer's data is for slow charging of capacitors where the NTC is in the secondary.

These two arrangements do different jobs.
Soft start is to allow the transformer to start up without blowing the close rated mains fuse.
Slow charging is to reduce the peak current through the capacitor during charging.

The manufacturer's data is for slow charging of capacitors where the NTC is in the secondary.

These two arrangements do different jobs.
Soft start is to allow the transformer to start up without blowing the close rated mains fuse.
Slow charging is to reduce the peak current through the capacitor during charging.

HI andrew
just to be clear, putting on primary we have soft start & slow charge ,rigth?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.