Need help on relay for 1200W Trafo soft start - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th January 2011, 03:48 PM   #21
BigE is offline BigE  Canada
diyAudio Member

Look here:

Crydom - Product Catalog

I use a microprocessor based MCS relay to start my transformer. I chose one with a max one second delay. The delay time is set with a pot on the relay itself. My relay is started with a 12 volt signal, so you need another transformer.

I'm using a plitron 2.4 Kva, but only one primary, so, it's just a 1.2 KVA like yours. It's expensive though -- $100 from mouser. But I can sleep at night.
Old 11th January 2011, 06:56 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatus View Post
I believe you in that, but that was not my point. It was about knowing all the relevant design principles and regulations of working with mains voltage. Do you know how to handle PE, do you know the minimum creepage and clearance distances, do you know the difference between creepage and clearance, can you distinguish the difference between functional, single and reinforced insulationn, do you know the impact on the transformer and the way you have to mechanically construct the cabling inside your case? You should not feel uncomfortable with any of these questions before continuing. Imagine that you finish your project and start using it. But something gets loose, shorts L with your nice aluminium case, and your kid touches it. Or: the subcircuit that is continuously connected to mains voltage starts overheating at night because of a design mistake and causes fire in your house. Your insurance company will not pay, provided you survive it.
Wow, I didn't know how little I know about these sorts of things. I hate to sound discouraged, but I don't expect you kind people to hold my hand thru the entire process, something I see happening with this. Thanks so much for the help, I think I'll back away from this and see what other hobbies intrigue me. I definitely don't want any fires caused by me!!

Thanks again
Old 12th January 2011, 09:44 AM   #23
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
put out a call for another Missouri Member to oversee your work.
OK, Missouri is big, but find somebody close by.
Or go down to the pub and reacquaint yourself with the electrician......
Old 12th January 2011, 04:40 PM   #24
BigE is offline BigE  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caxxxxxx View Post
Wow, I didn't know how little I know about these sorts of things. I hate to sound discouraged, but I don't expect you kind people to hold my hand thru the entire process, something I see happening with this. Thanks so much for the help, I think I'll back away from this and see what other hobbies intrigue me. I definitely don't want any fires caused by me!!

Thanks again
How sad..... if you think you need to know all that stuff just to start a big toroid, I feel sorry.

I wonder what dangerous practices I employ at the stove and BBQ because I am unaware of thermodynamics and it's underlying math..... Gee, it's a wonder I'm not dead yet.

Hide this!Advertise here!