Elna 15000uF 82V filter caps - blown

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Forum members from a new newbie,

I recently purchased a supposedly-functional Kenwood Km-Z1 6-ch amp on eBay that proved to be anything but functional. When I opened the case to poke about, I found that all 4 of the Elna 15000uF 82V filter caps had blown or were bulging. I couldn't see any indications of other nuked components or burned circuits - and the main fuses are still intact.

I'm having a bit of trouble finding suitable replacements as these are an odd size - 35mm x 65mm, but there is a tiny bit of wiggle room on the board of about 5mm width, and over 30mm in height. The caps are direct soldered to the board - no clamps or clips.

Bear in mind that I only have a rudementary electronics background and a basic voltmeter, so my ability to diagnose is limited. I'll be farming out the repairs to my favorite electronics repair gurus - that is, if it can be repaired...

A few questions for those intrepid members willing to respond: Does this amp seem a bit undercapped - 30000uF for 3 ch @ 130w/ch? Can the voltage rating of the caps be safely increased? And, most importantly, does anyone have any ideas on suitable replacemnts given my space limitation? Thanks for any and all of the help!!

Attachments

• Filter caps 2.JPG
    Filter caps 2.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 230
The reason for this blow-up is most likely to be due to too high voltage over the caps.
Same **** happens in almost all modern surround-equipment.
Too little space to put in components with enough "headroom".
Look for 100V caps, and have no fear for reducing them to say 10 000 uF.

With 30mm space on top, look for caps up to 35X95mm.
Should not be too difficult to find any.

same problem

I have the same problem, the caps are not blown yet but bulgy. I was trying to get the original parts but I had no luck. Still looking I found this post. I have no electronic expertise. Any more details with what I can get as a replacement? I understood that quality like are some differences. I like the sound of the system and I think it is worthy spending on it.
Any help or impute it would be greatly appreciated.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.