Possible Cheap Powersupply Solution for Current Dumping Amplifiers...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone...

I was searching around the for a cheap power supply alternative and came across this HP ESP120 as its a high output ( 57A max ) at 51.7 V !!
Power supplies can be had fairly cheap on flEbay anywhere from $12 - $50.

Heres the pics as mentioned above...

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
They have upgraded the servers at work and i ended up with the old equipment...

Sadly it needs 208-240V, but one module can handle even the most power hungry users out there. I mean even if your planning to build your own SMPS its worth picking one of these up just for parts!
I'm going out tomorrow to pick up the plugs, breakers along with the wiring so i can fire up the server and start the setup process.
Just a warning, 4 of these puppies will draw 35A at 208V !!

Just went downstairs and measured it, 18.5" from board edge to board edge length wise and about 5.5" wide ( 3U ), however the supply is loaded with 4 fans in a redundant arrangement and a monitoring board with RPM and Health LED's that are placed on the front bezel. There will be some "reverse engineering" that will be required at the Output connector in order to connect to it.

My Power supply chassis that houses them uses 0/1 Gauge cables on both ends with 75A breakers for the output of each pair of supplies !!!
The Mains as well have 30A breakers respectively for each pair.
Bays 1 and 2 are "BUS A" while bays 4 and 5 are "BUS B" with bays 3 and 6 left with filler trays ( and missing the power connectors internally because its a single phase supply ).
The Triple Phase Chassis will accept all 6 supplies and roughly estimate output of 150 Peak Amps per "BUS" with a total of 300A Available !!!

Last edited:
Power Factor Correction ??

Should as it the main enclosure does have a management card in it for power saving and does communicate with the server via an ethernet connection about the status of each power supply ( temperature, load and status ).
I'm guessing it should have Active PFC as most PC SMPS do, but i'm not sure if it would be a Boost, Buck, or a combination of both.

I will post more pics as i tear one down as it went up in smoke from being damaged in shipping....

Last edited:
PFC (power factor correction; also known as power factor controller) is a feature included in some computer and other power supply boxes that reduces the amount of reactive power generated by a computer. Reactive power operates at right angles to true power and energizes themagnetic field. Reactive power has no real value for an electronic device, but electric companies charge for both true and reactive power resulting in unnecessary charges. PFC is a required feature for power supplies shipped to Europe.

Surely you have heard of PFC?

David

Hello Adrculda,

Did you made any modifications on this Power supply?
I have a broken one, if I don't find any schematics I will take it apart.

The section that you show in the photo can be used to make a SMPS for audio amp with active PFC. It's a full bridge design with external connection to two Switching Transformers (could be used for the +/- Rails) and it also has an output for the auxiliary Switching Transformer (could be used for the auxiliary rails). It even has little power supply for the standby circuit.
What's needed is a new PCB with the modified Switching Transformers for the needed voltages and an UC3879 to generate the gate impulses of the bridge.

Mines broken too, not sure what exactly is wrong as it wasn't working when I got the server from work and i didn't spend any time on it besides when i pulled apart and left it at that. Winter is coming so I'm going back to tinkering indoors again :)

Will try and get the schematic from ASTEC and post it on here.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.