Source for Germanium transistors - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st January 2011, 08:17 PM   #1
Hyounce is offline Hyounce  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Source for Germanium transistors

Looking for source for 2SD47 and 2SG470 transistors needed to re-build the power supply in my Sony ST-5000FW FM tuner. Understand that these are 1960's vintage germanium transistors. Help!
Old 1st January 2011, 09:19 PM   #2
kbeist is offline kbeist  United States
diyAudio Member

You will need to scour the net for the data sheets on thoes trannys down load the sheet then do several cross-references of 'like' components. Unless you are ultra hard-core and prefer to pay $40-up + S/H for hard to source obsolete components. I wish you the best of luck as it took me 3 days to find suitable replacements for my Pioneer SX-1500T using original Hitachi 2SD341's.

I am planning to replicate the same amps in this reciever as I had purchased it when I was 14 for a mere $35 that was..... well.... long ago in a land far away. (26 years ago).
I absolutely loved the way that reciever performed/sounded.
I was able to aquire the factory schematics a few years ago for free.
The best part was that the factory techs actually made notations on the schem's!
The only bummer is that the schem's are rev-b and my reciever is rev-c, a few adjustments and wire connections are different.

Last edited by kbeist; 1st January 2011 at 09:21 PM.
Old 1st January 2011, 09:31 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your quick reply. I've already started heading down that road. Think I'll be doing a lot of this sort of thing as I'll also be restoring a Sony TA-2000F, preamp, and a couple of Sony 3120A power amps to go with the Sony ST-5000FW tuner. Gave the stuff to my nephew back in 1970, and so far as I know, it's all non-operational, now. The price of nostalgia!
Old 1st January 2011, 11:12 PM   #4
kbeist is offline kbeist  United States
diyAudio Member

Ahh yes that funny word nostalgia. Then again we are all just funny people.

As I recall my replacements happened to be ECG-something. It turns out the ECG's had better ratings.
Old 2nd January 2011, 12:11 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeist View Post
Ahh yes that funny word nostalgia. Then again we are all just funny people.
Yes. Funny. We're fine like that and we don't care if others think we like "old crap". Better than liking "new plastic junk".

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeist View Post
As I recall my replacements happened to be ECG-something. It turns out the ECG's had better ratings.
I wouldn't be surprised. New versions of old technology is better. It's like if they made fly-mo's today they would be awesome...

Wouldn't they?
Old 2nd January 2011, 12:16 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyounce View Post
Thanks for your quick reply. I've already started heading down that road. Think I'll be doing a lot of this sort of thing as I'll also be restoring a Sony TA-2000F, preamp, and a couple of Sony 3120A power amps to go with the Sony ST-5000FW tuner. Gave the stuff to my nephew back in 1970, and so far as I know, it's all non-operational, now. The price of nostalgia!
Funny how we all appreciate the old stuff because it's supposedely "better" and "lasts longer" than newer stuff, and then we often have to fix stuff like this. I guess it's still good because we have to fix this stuff thirty years later not replace it one year later(for today's stuff).

To get back to the topic at hand, I would not be exaggerating when I say that I have massive quantities of Germanium transistors.
What is the power dissipation that is required for that particular transistor? How much collector current? I even have a substitution manual form GE, I think, somewhere.

hint: look for member "2N1305" on a certain website called gearslutz...
Old 2nd January 2011, 04:08 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks, Guys
I'm going to do some serious probing in the ST-5000FW, starting tomorrow morning, but I'm going to have to find the manual for my Super Cricket, first. I'm afraid that I'm just an old "tube" guy trying to find my way through silicon jungle.
Fortunately, my problems with this tuner are in the power section, so with a little luck, I might just prevail. I'll be back on when I find exactly what I'll be needing.
Old 2nd January 2011, 04:11 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thanks, Guys
I'm going to do some serious probing in the ST-5000FW, starting tomorrow morning, but I'm going to have to find the manual for my Super Cricket, first. I'm afraid that I'm just an old "tube" guy trying to find my way through silicon jungle.
what's a "super cricket"?

Quote:
Fortunately, my problems with this tuner are in the power section, so with a little luck, I might just prevail. I'll be back on when I find exactly what I'll be needing.
Oh, don't worry, you will... Transistors are Kraft dinner compared to most tube circuits... At least coming from someone who knows both (okay I'm solid-state, first!)
Old 2nd January 2011, 04:34 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

The Cricket is my in-circuit transistor tester.
Old 2nd January 2011, 04:56 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

ahh... How does that work?

Hide this!Advertise here!