Using 220V transformer on 110V

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I woud consider that any transformer with a temperature rise of 30C no load must be pretty much a pile of junk. Can anyone provide manufacturers data that shows these figures?

Hello,
What manufacture says to run their transformer unloaded?
Unloaded it is not a transformer, it is a inductive heater. I bet that it will run cooler with a 20% load than with none.
DT
All just for fun!

I Suspect, But Haven't Seen It Written....

Hello,
Unloaded it is not a transformer, it is a inductive heater. I bet that it will run cooler with a 20% load than with none.
DT
All just for fun!

I don't think I've seen it written anywhere, but I suspect that transformers designed for heavy, continuous load are wound with lower turns-per-volt, than, say, a transformer designed for a widely variable load. I've seen a microwave oven transformer, secondary totally removed, draw 3A at 120V, and warm the core very rapidly after power was applied. I think the flux in the core decreases as load increases and high constant load transformers are wound with fewer turns-per-volt because the load keeps core flux at a substantially lower level than at idle. I also suspect that a high load transformer can use a much smaller core than a variable load transformer of the same VA rating.

Copper loss would be much higher because of thin wire being wound twice as many turns per volt as 110 volts on the primary requires. Probably 2-4 times the copper loss of a correctly wound 110 volt primary.

Copper loss in watts is similar at 110V and 220V because of the halved VA the copper loss as a percentage of power output is approximately double. There will be some increase in primary copper loss at 220V due to increased magnetising current

W=I2R, I is the same and R is the same so Watts is the same.

Last edited:
So what happens when you put 240V thru a 110V trannie then??

For 800VA or larger a 20A circuit breaker trips within minutes with even 20% over voltage. A small transformer without proper protection will cook.

You can put 240V into a 120V transformer if the frequency is a bit more than double (needs to be a bit higher to reduce iron loss) The insulation needs to be up to the job, this technique is carried further with aircraft power where 400Hz and 1000Hz are used resulting in very light power transformers and power supplies. I once stripped an 10Khz induction heater which had a 1 MVA water cooled 4:1 step down transformer, The transformer weighed about 50 Kg the windings were interleaved like a good quality audio output transformer and .004" laminations were used

Ok, so I dug out a suitable transformer, Toroid 240 V in 24 V out at 1A.
With 110 in I got 13.1 V no load
9.9 V 12 R load
9.05 V 9 R load
8.5 V 7R5 load
The last reading is 1.13 A so exceeding the rating.
This ran for 2 hours perfectly happily, got warm about 35 degrees with a 15 degree ambient.

Ok, so I dug out a suitable transformer, Toroid 240 V in 24 V out at 1A.
With 110 in I got 13.1 V no load
9.9 V 12 R load
9.05 V 9 R load
8.5 V 7R5 load
The last reading is 1.13 A so exceeding the rating.
This ran for 2 hours perfectly happily, got warm about 35 degrees with a 15 degree ambient.
24VA transformer run at ~46% of rated voltage does not overheat when pulling 9.6W out of it. That's just 40% of the rated VA and output voltage is crippled already. Regulation @ 110Vac is 54% for 9.6VA.

Could you apply 240Vac and draw the same currents and post the voltages? This way we can see how regulation varies with load and with input voltage.

Last edited:
Where does the +20% start from? 230, or 240 or 254Vac?

Voltage over here is 240V +/- 6% but I put 300V on the transformer so claiming 20% was a bit misleading, At my home the voltage is often 250V/ 435V. I was surprised as well when the breaker tripped but if the transformer was operating on the knee of the saturation curve, 20% would have put it into mild saturation.

Just a bit on running transformers at half their rated VA, this may be a US thing, digging though my transformer collection yeilded 1.2 and a 2kva, US (GE) transformers I could carry one in each hand, they were the smallest mains transformers of that rating I have seen. The Japanese, Australian, German and British transformers I have in the 700Va to 1.2Kva range are at least as heavy as the 2KVA US built unit. They were all EI style

Last edited:
the last 10 posts or so introduced 10 questions addressing nearly every variable into the mix!

so, first off i don't think i need to show manufacture data showing 30C temp rise no load.. this is normal for cheap chinease sh!t, in fact this is why its common for the 105C thermal cut out to break under slight overload!
in fact, by running at moderate saturation you can "regulate" away some of the primary resistive voltage loss... this is how you get a "constant voltage" transformer. they run pretty hot for obvious reasons.

What i meant by regulation is (full load-no load)/no load voltage.
so if you run it at half voltage and pull 41% more current I just figured about one third the regulation you'd get from full voltage and standard load.
While modern power transformers have a built-in thermal fuse, it's highly unlikely that the wires themselves will ever fuse.
true, but where the thin wire exits the bobbin i've seen lots of fused wires on sub 20Va tx's.
Hello,
that's nonsense, but plausible in some cases.
i'll have to see if i can duplicate it.
you'd have to cut core loss more than 4% (assuming at full load cu loss= fe loss) and the only way that happens is because the primary voltage drop reduces flux density.. so its possible, but only if its something like a microwave oven transfo..

Think of the wire in the transformer as a fuse. It will be rated at marginally above the maximum rating of the transformer.

A 1Amp fuse in a 240V circuit will NEVER magically become a 2A fuse when used in a 110V circuit.

I never said that the secondary would fuse. I simply stated that the secondary is designed to supply a certain current. If you wish to exceed this current then you run the risk of the secondary overheating and eventually failing.

The magnetic core may well be able to store and transfer more energy at a different voltage on the primary but ultimately it is the secondary that is providing the output current.

I never said that the secondary would fuse. I simply stated that the secondary is designed to supply a certain current. If you wish to exceed this current then you run the risk of the secondary overheating and eventually failing.

The magnetic core may well be able to store and transfer more energy at a different voltage on the primary but ultimately it is the secondary that is providing the output current.

this is not true.. both primary and secondary should have approximately the same mass, and thus both overheat.
the core doesn't store any energy at all, except what is in the air gap

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.