Two (or more) transformers to increase power ??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is it practically possible to increase the power needed by using more than one similar transformers ? Look at the image of the circuit I have in my mind, need to know if this combination is possible? I don't have an option for a higher rated transformer or getting a custom one made for now.
I currently have Two 24-0-24/5A transformers and would want to use both as the other one is sitting ideal and I need more power. This is for a 50+50W RMS chipamp I have based on STK4191II IC.

Attachments

• Power supply1.pdf
    100.9 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
If you have a pair of transformers, you can just parallel them into a single (bridge or other) rectifier if the diode ratings can handle the power. No need to double up on the bridges and caps, but no problem either, as far as I know.
Just make sure the phasing of the transformers is correct.

John

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
If you do not change the supply voltage to the amp, there's no increase in power with more xformers. In case the supply sags a bit under continuous full load, an extra xformer may help to make the sag less.
But continuous full power only happens at the test bench, not with music.
So, an extra transformer doesn't make your system more powerfull, unless you increase the supply voltage. When you do that, you must make sure that the amp can handle the extra voltage, and that the heatsink is large enough etc etc. Not a simle 'plug and play' mod.

jan didden

Hi,

Unless your building a laboratory amplifier the simple fact is music at
clipping level does not need RMS rated power supplies. It turns out
most 8 ohm RMS supplies can easily handle 4 ohm music program
at the clipping point. Large supplies do not give more power much.

rgds, sreten.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.