clclcrcrc or crcrclclc?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A choke input filter will have an output voltage of ~0.9 times the RMS input voltage whereas a capacitor input filter will have an output voltage of ~1.41 times the RMS input.

A choke input filter draws a more-or-less continuous current that varies little, less-and-less variation the bigger the choke, whereas a cap input filter draws current in brief pulses.

You pays your money and you takes your choice.

One would have thought that someone as partisan about chokes as you evidently are would have been a little more au fait with little details such as these.

w

These aren't the only differences, but it's time you went away and learned some stuff for yourself. You can get the Radiotron Designer's Handbook as a free download. It calls capacitors 'condensers', but don't let that throw you. Or buy Morgan Jones' 'Valve Amplifiers'.

waki

waki.....your last comment......I am actually putting in the effort to "learn for myself".. and I have those books....I merely ask the questions to fill in morgan's "holes " OR to double check my reasoning.....I spend a lot of time reading these forums to further educate myself and I find that when one person says "black" another screams "white"...so I try to collect as much information as I possibly can...I have no friends interested in DIY or know anyone with decent kit to compare so I have no way but these forums to discuss problems...From the tone of that last comment it sounds like you think I am just a lazy guy who sits back and lets everyone else burn their brain cells: I assure you I am not.....I have actually already tried both arrangements of inductor capacitor/ resistor capacitor...I can hear no difference in sound... Obviously tho from what I can gather clclrcrc is your better bet... So why the question? A double check...You have already rebuked me in a previous post for "making assumptions"....so there you go: a post with as little assumption as I could think of...

OK, chokesrule, but you're not getting much in the way of replies.

If your post started off:- 'Reading in Morgan Jones' 'Valve Amplifiers' I find xxxxx but I don't fully understand yyyyy'' or 'The Radiotron Designer's Handbook says zzzzz, but I am still unclear about.....', then people would have an idea that they were dealing with someone who has made some effort on their own part and wasn't just given to asking blank and wide ranging questions with no indication of context or making unfounded and childish assertions like 'chokes rule'.

w

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.