Sanding down Hammond transformers - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th December 2010, 02:21 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Wire that baby up the way it is and play some rock and roll through it. It wont sound any different whether you do anything to it you mentioned.
Old 17th December 2010, 02:23 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsculptor View Post
Why sand it down, the usual technique to pretty up industrial hardware is to use body filler or spray putty then sand down that till it is smooth. As for the insulation between the plates, it is common practice to weld a lamination stacks together evidently with no ill effects (this is done on one side of the stack only) so I cannot see a bit of sanding causing problems.
Thanks for the putty suggestion but here I'd rather see the laminates to keep the industrial looks. Thanks also for bringing up the welding practice. I don't know if Hammond process this way (I don't think so as I did not noticed them) but it's a good point you brought up there.
Old 17th December 2010, 02:27 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
You won't see copper however much you sand the laminations, as they are made of iron/steel.
Yes, Sorry I have omitted that I want to apply a metallic copper paint once the surface is clean.
Old 17th December 2010, 02:33 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by db! View Post
Dip the affected side in a very shallow tray (Don't fill it more than a couple mm's) of lacquer thinner; the varnish should be soft enough to scrape off after an hour. Just make sure you don't get any on the windings, bobbin or wires.
Cool idea! but I wont have much control over the process. Lacquer thinner is strong, it could penetrate between the laminates. I'll think over it, maybe a less volatile thinner could be more appropriate. Hmm!
Old 17th December 2010, 02:39 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Eckhardt View Post
Wire that baby up the way it is and play some rock and roll through it. It wont sound any different whether you do anything to it you mentioned.
Hehe I love this one!!! Sometimes we get to crazy huh? This is why I've designed a SET 6550 rather than a 300B amp...for lots of foot tapping!

Thanks fellows!
Old 18th December 2010, 01:10 AM   #16
db! is offline db!  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoparleur View Post
Cool idea! but I wont have much control over the process. Lacquer thinner is strong, it could penetrate between the laminates. I'll think over it, maybe a less volatile thinner could be more appropriate. Hmm!
Lacquer thinner will not penetrate the laminations unless you leave it sitting for days; it only seems to work on open and exposed surfaces. Just be careful not to overfill the tray; 3-5mm depth is ideal.

Also, the amount of time you leave it in the thinner for isn't critical, a hour or so will soften up the varnish enough to be scraped off.
Old 18th December 2010, 02:55 AM   #17
BudP is offline BudP  United States
diyAudio Member

After you have spent some time with the lacquer thinner try using Acetone, same amount in a metal tray. Use double vinyl or other protective film gloves to avoid poisoning your self. This will melt the polyester resin that is likely the varnish used. Just wipe the core edges with a wet strength paper towel now and again until you get it as smooth as you want. Once the resin has reset, lightly sand the paper residue off and paint.

I am a transformer engineer and this is what we do in our plant to refinish or dismantle the transformer core. I would remove the endbells and bolts. keeping the isolation washers where they are on the bolts. Don't loose those, ever!!!!! Then perhaps rebolt the core with some appropriate size just to keep the pieces of I lam from dropping out.

Bud
Old 18th December 2010, 06:02 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

No need for that high of protection from acetone. It has a relatively low toxicity (most other solvents are more toxic). More than anything without protection it may give a burning irritation to the skin, with no damage (just some dryness). Keep in mind nail polish remover is often atleast 50+% acetone (with some I have seen up to 80%).
Old 18th December 2010, 07:25 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

I just grind the material off with a wire wheel.
Its a lot faster than sanding, that's for certain.
Old 18th December 2010, 08:16 AM   #20
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

yup, a brass type, cup brush mounted on an angle grinder can be used as well, i use such to remove rust on steel.....

Hide this!Advertise here!