reducing V and filtering ripple from chipamp PS for op amps - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th November 2010, 12:41 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default reducing V and filtering ripple from chipamp PS for op amps

I am building four separate "woofer cubes". I need to use a dual op amp to process (e.g. filter) the input in to each cube. Although I could do it, it seems silly to use another transformer and a pair of 317/337 regulators in each cabinet to provide regulated supplies at +/-15V for a single dual op amp! Since the op amps only need on the order of 20mA total current, can I just drop the rail voltages using a voltage divider and use a 1000uF-2000uF Elcap to provide some additional reduction in ripple and use this as the op amp rails? PS rail voltages are about +/-40-45VDC, which is slightly above the 317/337 max input voltage anyway.

I am hoping that the combination of PS ripple rejection in the op amps and the additional RC filtering stage in the voltage divider/cap will reduce 120Hz hum to negligible levels, but I am not sure.

Any input from people who have tried this or who know more about this than me would be appreciated!

TIA

-Charlie

Hide this!Advertise here!