Discrete low current HV supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Built this, this evening...

9xv3U.jpg

b5RZ2.png

Main switch is a 2N4401. Draws about a watt at 15V, making 60-120V at up to ~1.5mA, with pitiful efficiency (but it's only a watt, so who cares). Regulation is extremely good, thanks to the TL431's high gain.

I built it for avalanche pulse generator experiments, but I'm posting it here as it would be excellent for a small tube preamplifier for battery, automotive or "wall-wart" operation.

Tim

I often use 2-transistor converters, same sex or complementary to create supplies from a single cell or to light an LED.

The same principle can be used for higher voltages, see extrapolation.
The efficiency is ~ 80%, not very good by today's standards but not catastrophic either.

PS
This type of converter can also be used for applications like this one: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/power-supplies/159705-when-you-need-15vdc-have-only-one-pole.html at power levels up to ~500mW (higher with Zetex superbeta transistors)

Attachments

• ComplCNV.gif
    ComplCNV.gif
    12.9 KB · Views: 107
  • Nconv.gif
    Nconv.gif
    11.2 KB · Views: 107
  • XtrapolN.gif
    XtrapolN.gif
    37.4 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.