Computer SMPS driving T-Amp - noise - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th November 2010, 10:22 PM   #1
J4m3s is offline J4m3s  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Computer SMPS driving T-Amp - noise

I am running one of Arjen Helder's TA2020s straight from the sound card on my PC. It's built up and works great off a battery or wal wart, but I'd really love to drive it using the computer PSU (so it turns on/off with the PC and there are fewer parts). Problem is, there is lots of noise through the spreakers when it's driven from the SMPS - and the noise varies in pitch/ volume depending on what the rest of the computer is doing.

I need to clean up the , in as few parts/ small a package as possible. Not sure if I can buy a single unit or have to start combining a variety of components (Do SMPS have a home at high end audio?).

Is there something simple/ straightforward I could put across/ in line with the 12V supply to clean it up? I'm fine with the soldering iron but used to car electics and PCs not audio.

Thanks in advance,
James.
Old 16th November 2010, 06:13 PM   #2
jitter is offline jitter  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I don't think it's easy to clean up the power from a dirty SMPS. Probably the power is polluted by the pc itself too.

However, if you're only interested in switching the TA2020's supply on an off simulteneoulsy with the computer and don't mind using a separate PSU, why not use the computer's 12 V to power a relay that switches (external) power for the TA2020 on/off?
Old 17th November 2010, 09:59 PM   #3
J4m3s is offline J4m3s  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Yes I may have to resort to that, though I'd really like to have it self-contained if possible. Is there anything I can do to at least reduce the noise? I really don't know where to start.

Does no-one make some sort of filter? (or can/should I put a capacitor across the 12v input?)

Thank you - any direction would be gratefully received.
Old 17th November 2010, 10:56 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

ferrite , caps , cmc choke , work 0n12v ....my worked fine , just a little noise when I move the mouse

Hide this!Advertise here!