Computer SMPS driving T-Amp - noise

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am running one of Arjen Helder's TA2020s straight from the sound card on my PC. It's built up and works great off a battery or wal wart, but I'd really love to drive it using the computer PSU (so it turns on/off with the PC and there are fewer parts). Problem is, there is lots of noise through the spreakers when it's driven from the SMPS - and the noise varies in pitch/ volume depending on what the rest of the computer is doing.

I need to clean up the , in as few parts/ small a package as possible. Not sure if I can buy a single unit or have to start combining a variety of components (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/70566-do-smps-have-home-high-end-audio.html).

Is there something simple/ straightforward I could put across/ in line with the 12V supply to clean it up? I'm fine with the soldering iron but used to car electics and PCs not audio.

Thanks in advance,
James.

I don't think it's easy to clean up the power from a dirty SMPS. Probably the power is polluted by the pc itself too.

However, if you're only interested in switching the TA2020's supply on an off simulteneoulsy with the computer and don't mind using a separate PSU, why not use the computer's 12 V to power a relay that switches (external) power for the TA2020 on/off?

Yes I may have to resort to that, though I'd really like to have it self-contained if possible. Is there anything I can do to at least reduce the noise? I really don't know where to start.

Does no-one make some sort of filter? (or can/should I put a capacitor across the 12v input?)

Thank you - any direction would be gratefully received.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.