current transformer in older AT psu-s - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd October 2010, 12:46 PM   #1
laksaja is offline laksaja  Estonia
diyAudio Member

Default current transformer in older AT psu-s

Hello,

maybe somebody can help with this question. I found an article in Silicon Chip Silicon Chip Online - Regulated High-Voltage Supply For Valve Amplifiers where the old AT psu was modified to produce 400V high voltage for tube amp. The author has used the small current transformer for sensing primary current and therefore limit the current draw from secondary. In the schematic the T3 transformer is current sense transformer with the ratio 1:180, which reflects the primary side current 2V per amp. Its all understandable. What i dont understand, how the T3 transformer can be T2 transformer at the same time (on the picture) and use the same core which switches the output transistors? Shouldn´t the current affect the switching somehow? And sense the primary current also at the same time. Confusing....
I marked the transformer in red in schematics.
I actually built this unit and it works (mine is choozed 300V instead 400 or 700), but i really need some protection

Thank you in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 102096_7mg.jpg (44.4 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg 102096_13mg.jpg (100.5 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg 102096_8lo.jpg (32.5 KB, 108 views)
Old 22nd October 2010, 02:27 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I don't see anything wrong (although the schematics are a little hard to read). T2 is the base drive transformer and T3 is the current sense transformer. They are two separate transformers.
Old 22nd October 2010, 03:17 PM   #3
luka is offline luka  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to luka
simple, picture is not the same as circuit in the schematic
Old 22nd October 2010, 07:32 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luka View Post
simple, picture is not the same as circuit in the schematic
I really doubt that the picture and the schematic are not the same. I attached the pictures of my AT psu, which i modified and the second is already cleaned board, ready for rework. There is only small transformer in both boards which is transistor switch transformer, no current sensing one. Dont mind the small green toroid, its just the toroid from ATX psu i tried to act as current transformer (it doesnt work like that). I think those AT psus are design to sense current from secondary as voltage drop. I have 300V killing voltage on secondary and it is something i wouldn´t like to deal with . I think i have to try to wind some current transformer myself to sense the primary current.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1684.jpg (269.1 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1685.jpg (282.2 KB, 78 views)
Old 22nd October 2010, 08:41 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Sch3mat1c Send a message via AIM to Sch3mat1c
The current transformer is here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CT.jpg (97.1 KB, 49 views)
Old 22nd October 2010, 08:49 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sch3mat1c View Post
The current transformer is here.
I just said in my previous post that dont look (mind) the green toroid . I put it myself there to try it as current transformer. it has wrong ratio at this respect and it has not nothing to do with original circuit. Its even not connected on that picture youre referring to.
Old 23rd October 2010, 01:38 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Modify the circuit to suit the current transformer on hand. There is no problem using the same sized core as both a current transformer and driver transformer, the flux in a current transformer is mainly determined by the secondary load and the core is sized to handle that. Ratio is not that important getting the correct voltage on the current sense line at the desired current limit is what you need to aim for. The resistor connected across the current transformer terminals is what determines that naturally there are limits and core saturation is the main one current transformers run into.
Old 23rd October 2010, 11:13 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsculptor View Post
Modify the circuit to suit the current transformer on hand. There is no problem using the same sized core as both a current transformer and driver transformer, the flux in a current transformer is mainly determined by the secondary load and the core is sized to handle that. Ratio is not that important getting the correct voltage on the current sense line at the desired current limit is what you need to aim for. The resistor connected across the current transformer terminals is what determines that naturally there are limits and core saturation is the main one current transformers run into.
Thank you! This is the answer I waited . Its more convenient to wind one separate current transformer to sense primary current. I get into work now to see whether the smps will affect the sound of tube amp comparing to ordinary transformer.

Take care!

Hide this!Advertise here!