Active Wharfedale Diamonds Transformer - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th September 2010, 07:47 PM   #1
Fowlet is offline Fowlet  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Active Wharfedale Diamonds Transformer

Hi All,

Fairly basic question, the transformer in my old active wharfedale diamonds is buzzing away quite loudly. I've been told this is due to coil delamination, which makes sense. However, rather than go through the whole "Bake it in the oven, relaminate the coils" palaver I'd like to buy a more modern, more efficient and more importantly quieter transformer.

My multimeter appears to be dying and I can't get a VDC reading from the old transformer output. Anyone know where I can find a suitable replacement?

Thanks in advance,
Ethan
Old 29th September 2010, 08:40 PM   #2
Puffin is offline Puffin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I would have thought that it would be fairly easy to find a replacement. I have a pair of active diamonds in the loft. If you are not able to find the voltage of the secondary's I will take a trip to the loft.
Old 29th September 2010, 09:06 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I don't know what my multimeter's playing at. On it's 2.5V DC setting, the needle flicks to it's maximum and bounces. So I switch it up to 10V DC, and it only twitches slightly.
Old 29th September 2010, 09:08 PM   #4
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Transformers output AC, that's probably why you are not getting a reading.

Be aware that transformer technology, well at least for the kind of use we have, has not changed in the last 20 years or more. So you are just going to be replacing like for like really, unless there is room in there for a bigger transformer and caps.
Old 29th September 2010, 09:10 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I'm a 3rd year Systems Engineer. And I was trying to measure DC output from a mains-fed transformer.

*Bangs head on desk*
Old 29th September 2010, 09:12 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Right, it's reading 27V between the two ends, and 15V middle-to-end. Given the innacuracies of this cheap multimeter, I'm guessing its a 30V transformer...
Old 29th September 2010, 09:38 PM   #7
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

That sounds about right.
Old 29th September 2010, 09:49 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

OK, so the transformer already in the speaker case is rated at 35VA, and is a 15/30v.

Would anything (especially sound quality) be compromised by replacing it with the below linked transformer?

And do I need to think about shielding?

Click here to view the transformer
Old 29th September 2010, 10:21 PM   #9
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Not compromised, more likely to see a small improvement in rail stability. Whether you will hear any difference, it may be tiny.

You are unlikely to be able to fit in any shielding that is really effective and are likely to just make overheating problems.
Old 29th September 2010, 10:21 PM   #10
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fowlet View Post
OK, so the transformer already in the speaker case is rated at 35VA, and is a 15/30v.

Would anything (especially sound quality) be compromised by replacing it with the below linked transformer?

And do I need to think about shielding?

Click here to view the transformer
hi, the short answer is no and no, rgds, sreten.

Hide this!Advertise here!