0ne 100uF cap or ten 10uF caps (or two 200uF caps...etc)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

In a PSU (for a tube amp, with a choke, cap, choke, cap config) What would be the result if I substitute say a 100uF cap with ten 10uF caps in parallell, or two 200uF caps in series. Simple math tells you that the total uF will be the same but I do not have the skills to know what will actually happend.

Are there any pros/cons of building a PSU with a single cap of the correct uF instead of a couple of caps giving the same total uF for the cap in question.

Regards,
Fredrik

Hi,

In a PSU (for a tube amp, with a choke, cap, choke, cap config) What would be the result if I substitute say a 100uF cap with ten 10uF caps in parallell, or two 200uF caps in series. Simple math tells you that the total uF will be the same but I do not have the skills to know what will actually happend.

Are there any pros/cons of building a PSU with a single cap of the correct uF instead of a couple of caps giving the same total uF for the cap in question.

Regards,
Fredrik

Hi there.
Rod Elliot of ESP recommends using multiple paralleled capacitors rather than 1 large value item.

His comments can be seen here;

Project 101 - High Power, High Fidelity MOSFET power amplifier

Go down the page to Fig. 3 and read the comments below it.

Basically, you can expect better performance and lower cost but offset against this will be greater complexity of build.

I can't see any benefit from using higher voltage rated items in series but if you have lots to hand, why not?

Sandy

It's not as simple as just paralleling them.

The caps can only be placed a minimum of their diameter and a bit apart unless you mount them on both sides of a pcb. You have to connect the parallel caps with something, either pcb traces or wires. Sooner or later the pcb trace/wire inductance and resistance outweighs the gains in reduced inductance and ESR won by paralleling the caps in the first place.

If, for example, I wanted a 10,000uF cap, I'd limit it to 4 or 6 x 2,200 uF mounted on both sides of a pcb. Always use higher voltage rated caps - they have lower ESR to start with.

It's not as simple as just paralleling them.

The caps can only be placed a minimum of their diameter and a bit apart unless you mount them on both sides of a pcb. You have to connect the parallel caps with something, either pcb traces or wires. Sooner or later the pcb trace/wire inductance and resistance outweighs the gains in reduced inductance and ESR won by paralleling the caps in the firstplace.

If, for example, I wanted a 10,000uF cap, I'd limit it to 4 or 6 x 2,200 uF mounted on both sides of a pcb. Always use higher voltage rated caps - they have lower ESR ro start with.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.