When selecting DC connector plugs and sockets how do you make sure they match? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th August 2010, 07:45 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default When selecting DC connector plugs and sockets how do you make sure they match?

I'm trying to find a DC connector to supply a unit I'm going to make but I can't work out for sure which would match what, for instance would this socket fit with any of the connections on this plug? Any good guidelines to follow when selecting these separate parts?
Any help on this would be greatly appreciated cheers!
Old 28th August 2010, 10:03 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Get the advice of someone who sells these things. You can get polarized connectors that will go together only one way, which is a good thing. The selection of available connectors is so vast that it's rather easy to find something that won't fit anything else you have.
Old 29th August 2010, 05:22 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to runebivrin
The short answer is they'll probably fit. The jack is 5.7mm outer diameter, 2mm pin diameter.

One of the plugs is 5mm outer, 2.1mm pin hole diameter.

According to the jack specs the plug should be 5.5 outer diameter but that is generally not a critical measurement as long as it isn't too large. It's generally the pin diameter that is critical.

Personally I'd avoid that type of plug for anything critical. There's too much risk for polarity screw-ups and the plug will pull loose very easily.
Old 29th August 2010, 06:40 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Ah right cheers any other type of connections? I need something that's quite widely available really

Hide this!Advertise here!