How do i build a 12v power supply ? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th August 2010, 05:53 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
i need a 12v toroidal power supply no more than about 5 amps max, to power my valve preamp. how do i build one or is there somewhere i can buy one ??
You can get 12v linear power supplies online cheap but they will have EI transformers . I'm in need of a 12v 5A PS with a torroidal or pot-core transformer as well because I need to have the lowest radiation and toroidal and pot-cores emit less radiation , I've looked extensively online but I cant find anywhere that sells PS's with torroidal or pot core transformers.

Does anyone where you can get one in the US? Or get them built at a reasonable price?

Last edited by SilverStrings; 10th August 2010 at 05:57 AM.
Old 29th September 2010, 12:07 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

This seller sells a 12v linear PS with torroidal transformer, I bough one and they are very nice but they are actually 4A not 5A so it doesnt work with my device well, still looking for someone that can build me a custom one.

60W Linear Power supply for T-AMP TA2024 TA2020 DAC - eBay (item 110571144274 end time Oct-08-10 01:52:54 PDT)
Old 29th September 2010, 06:30 PM   #13
paulb is offline paulb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onis_uk View Post
i need a 12v toroidal power supply no more than about 5 amps max, to power my valve preamp. how do i build one or is there somewhere i can buy one ??
cheers Dom
Does the 12V need to be regulated (how tightly)?
Why does it need to use a toroidal transformer?
You may want to read this article, especially his comments on toroidal transformers:
http://sound.westhost.com/power-supplies.htm
And here's a power supply project
http://sound.westhost.com/project77.htm

Last edited by paulb; 29th September 2010 at 06:33 PM.
Old 3rd October 2010, 08:13 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

I believe it does, I'm not sure how tightly (I'm still somewhat of a newbie at
all this)

Thanks for the articles the main reason I want it to have a torroidal transformer is because of the lower magnetic fields and better power efficiency.

If I had the time I would definitely dedicate time to learn how to build one it doesn't seem to difficult except for maybe the chassis, but unfortunately I won't have time at least until January.
Old 3rd October 2010, 10:19 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

12V and about 5A calls for a 60W NV halogen bulb transformer. They are (at least here in Germany) usually toroids and quite cheap...

PS. Of course this is only the transformer then, needs rectification and voltage regulation too, but this is not very difficult.
Old 3rd October 2010, 11:52 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Using a computer-PSU requires modification of the regulation circuit because nearly every of them weights only the 5V-Output or it has at least the highest priority.

No load at 5V will result in a Voltage around 10,5V at 12V output.
(I'm running a carhifi-Amp on a omputer-PSU)

Hide this!Advertise here!