transformer wiring causing brain melt down

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have come by a transformer which has 2 primary windings of 115 volts . There are 3 wires to the primary windings. 2 brown and 1 white. I take it the white is a shared o volts or ground /center tap. I live in the UK where domestic mains is 230/240v. I am trying to figure out how to wire this to the mains.If both primary windings have a common ground , I cant see how I can wire the two coils in series?? The only possible way i can suppose is to wire both brown wires one to live and one to neutral and the shared white to mains earth???? Is this right?surely not? as each coil would alternate at 240v , which each is not rated for.I am totally confused can any one help?

well white to either brown is 14 ohms resistance:brown to brown is 28 ohms . I guess white must be centre tap. So it is left floating, i can see why now :the white wire is basically the end of the first winding AND the start of the second, ie to connect to 240 mains if you isolate the white wire the two windings are already in series. thanks for the help.

well white to either brown is 14 ohms resistance:brown to brown is 28 ohms . I guess white must be centre tap. So it is left floating, i can see why now :the white wire is basically the end of the first winding AND the start of the second, ie to connect to 240 mains if you isolate the white wire the two windings are already in series. thanks for the help.

Whoa, that's a lot of resistance for a primary. Are you sure you're not confusing the secondaries with the primaries? How many and what resistance are those?

It would be unusual for a 115/230 volt primary to be center tapped. For 115V operation the primaries must be in parallel, with the "start" of winding 1 connected to the "start" of winding 2 for proper phasing. For 230V operation the windings are connected in series, with the "start" of winding 2 connected to the "finish" of winding 1. This means all four wires need to be brought out. The center tapped configuration is much more common as a secondary winding.

Sometimes the primary has a "fuse" lead, i.e., a fuse connected to one of the leads that is brought out separately. I had a transformer with such a lead and asked questions here about it.

Question, Picture. The brown lead is the fuse though its hard to see from the Pic.

Not sure if that's the case in yours due to the high resistance between the mystery lead and the other leads. Just something to think about for future readers of this thread who have similar issues.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.