Transformer soft-start with relays - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th October 2010, 10:34 AM   #31
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsculptor View Post
It works fine I posted examples in a prior thread, I had the problem that Andrew T mentioned once because the series resistor was too high, aim for 5x the full load current at start for a soft start.
I want to use a close rated fuse in the primary feed. I find I can get away with a fuse ~=maximum rated current if the soft start resistor limits the peak current to ~3X maximum rated current.

The lower the required fuse rating the worse the risk of the relay not pulling in.
This problem goes away if a real timer circuit is adopted.

Metal,
you are right the Zener makes the non activation of the relay much worse in low voltage conditions.
Old 14th October 2010, 11:44 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
I want to use a close rated fuse in the primary feed. I find I can get away with a fuse ~=maximum rated current if the soft start resistor limits the peak current to ~3X maximum rated current.
I tend to use circuit breakers, which have no problem starting a 5x rated load but trip a bit slower than a fuse, the reasoning being that it is difficult to protect semiconductors with a fuse, so protecting the rest of the system is the primary goal and a bit of surge rating is quite handy for testing, 2x overload for a few minutes doesn't bother a robust power supply. The majority of industrial control power supplies in Australia are protected by cheap DIN rail mounted MCB's which for around A$6 are quite competitive with fuses. The physical size of an MCB compared to a 3AG fuse can be problem for a small PSU.

Hide this!Advertise here!