12V to 160V@500mA ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th June 2010, 12:21 PM   #1
TroelsM is offline TroelsM  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Default 12V to 160V@500mA ?

Hi.

I need some urgent help. For a project at work we need to build a mockup that will convert 12V DC (battery so 10~14V) to 160V at approx 500mA.

It needs to be regulated. We dont have time to develop a dedicated boost-converter and would like to buy something off-the-shelf.

Any pointers? I can use eval-boards, DC/DC-modules or even a DIY-kit of some sort.

I've searched hi and low, but most readymade solutions are not capable of that kind of output voltage.

Kind Regards TroelsM
Old 28th June 2010, 03:37 PM   #2
star882 is offline star882  United States
diyAudio Member

A custom design might be the only realistic option. Your application is not very common.

You might be able to use a 12v xenon strobe inverter if you can modify it to reduce the output voltage.
Old 28th June 2010, 03:38 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Sch3mat1c Send a message via AIM to Sch3mat1c
50-100W automotive inverter, nix the 60Hz generator circuit. But I warn you, they don't put filters on them, so you can't PWM regulate the output.
Old 28th June 2010, 06:07 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Convert the 12V to 120V with a COTS inverter then run the output of that into a normal line operated power supply. Or just rectify and regulate its output; it will be close to the value you seek.
Old 28th June 2010, 10:32 PM   #5
ChrisA is offline ChrisA  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroelsM View Post
I've searched hi and low, but most readymade solutions are not capable of that kind of output voltage.
Power inverters convert 12V to AC Mains power. Some are very inexpensive. You don't need a large one so the cost should by _way_ under $100. Once you have AC Mains you should be able to find a 160V power supply. You loose surprisingly little in the conversion.
Old 29th June 2010, 12:00 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

HV is not the direction the world is going and you may be stuck with designing your own converter, like it or not. I've done a few similar things and can tell you that much of the information for LV converters will steer you in the wrong direction if you're looking for size or efficiency, which most battery applications are. If you just need to get something going quickly, the inverter idea isn't a bad one. Email me if you decide to do your own.
Old 29th June 2010, 05:26 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi all.

Great info.

Yes the automotive inverter and a 230Vac -> 160Vdc converter might be the quick and dirty fix. The extra conversion cost energy, but for know that may just be the best compromise.

I would still like to hear about other ideas floating around out there. I had considered using a powersupply for in-car-power-amps. They typically do 12V-> +/-40V. With different winding on the transformer that might do the trick. The only kits I've seen for this are more expensive than the automotive inverter.

Kind Regards TroelsM
Old 2nd July 2010, 01:35 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I'm kind of a noob, myself so this might not be what you need but I thought I'd put in this link Flyback Converters for Dummies in the odd chance that you might find it useful.
Old 2nd July 2010, 02:20 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

How about a U.S. automotive inverter with 60Hz 120Vrms out? You can full wave (bridge) rectify that to approx. 170V, use about a 5000uF filter and a floating LM317 regulator to drop it to 160V. This gives your Vout with low dissipation in the regulator.
Old 2nd July 2010, 07:10 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hi Santonel.

Great link there. It sums up a lot of my (long forgotten) switchmode-course from school :-)

The coil-tester idea is funny. That might be usefull.

Kind Regards TroelsM

Hide this!Advertise here!