smps in seriel for tube power supply - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd June 2010, 04:22 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default smps in seriel for tube power supply

ello

i am working on a tube power amp, right now i have a normal power transformator, but it is to small for this amp. so i need a bigger psu.

so, i could just get a bigger power trafo, or i could go smps. but i need 4-500v and there isnt that many smps in that voltage range. so i was thinking, what about putting smaller units in series?

like this one Find 48V DC 1A 50W Regulated Switching Power Supply New på eBay Internationalt Marked med tilbud på varer i alverdens populære kategorier. Alt kan sendes til dit land!

10 of them would give me the voltage and power i need, and the price wouldnt be that high compared to a bigger trafo, with bigger chokes and bigger capacitors.

so.. is there any problems in stacking psu's like the one linked? and anyhing speciel i should be aware of? like how do i make shure the load is equally splitted?

ofc i could make my own... but i have never build a smps, so dont think that is a good ideer.

i have a smps for the heaters, so i only need a supply for the HV line.

-Heinrichs
Old 22nd June 2010, 04:36 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

In theory this should work fine, but there are a couple of things you should consider. If I understand the data sheet correctly, the output isolation voltage (O/P-FG) is 500 VAC, so this might be marginaly but should be OK. Another possible issue would be start-up. The overcurrent protection is foldback current limiting. Sometimes, these circuits will have trouble with nonlinear loads, or if the output somehow gets reverse biased. Put reverse diodes across the outputs to help with this.

Do you really need to use SMPSs?
Old 23rd June 2010, 04:10 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

no i dont need to use smps, it was just a ideer that popped into my head..

but sounds like it isnt a really good ideer. so will look for a proper power transformer instead.

Hide this!Advertise here!