Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th June 2010, 04:48 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Help please,need to build a power supply for a car amp for home use

I currently have a P200.2 fosgate amps using in my house powered by a 350w computer power supply. However it seem not to have enough power. I notice that while in use the voltage drop from 12v to 10.5v when heavy bass is played and at that point the bass sounds distorted. I am looking for a cost effective solution.
I really don't want to buy a regular home amplifier since I already have a amps.
Old 15th June 2010, 04:57 PM   #2
paulb is offline paulb  Canada
diyAudio Member

It's cheaper to buy one.
Old 15th June 2010, 05:15 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I use a 4 x 50 watt JVc car stereo for sound outside in the back yard. The only power that I have available is 220 volts for the pool pump. So I made a 2 amp charger/power supply to feed a marine battery which runs the car radio. The battery is rated at 75 amper hours ie 75 amps @12 volts for 1 hour or 37.5 amps for 2 hours or 10 amps for 7.5 hours etc. So unless you are blasting super loud for long periods of time a battery and a cheap charger will do you.

I live in the country and my son has had several parties and yes even with only 4 x 50 watts the neighbours are glad he doesn't have too many parties.
Old 15th June 2010, 05:51 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Try to use 2 computer power supply, and add at least 4 x 2200uf 16v caps, use a diode to put it in parallel. Itīs far from a reasonable solution, but itīs cheap, and you could try .
Old 15th June 2010, 06:37 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roredigolo View Post
Try to use 2 computer power supply, and add at least 4 x 2200uf 16v caps, use a diode to put it in parallel. Itīs far from a reasonable solution, but itīs cheap, and you could try .

You said to use a diode, Could you explain a bit more about connecting the diode.
Old 17th June 2010, 09:48 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

If u can go inside and do some soldering/desoldering, it will be easier and then u can use the power amp bypassing its internal DC-DC power supply.

Gajanan Phadte
Old 17th June 2010, 10:54 AM   #7
Banned

Even with 2 computer supplies, that is not a good solution. The voltage will be down 0.6V before you start. Computer supplies put out most of their current @ 5V.

The suggestion from multisync is good, it will work, it will give you good volume; if you buy a big enough battery it will probably run all day (if you charge it all night). You still need a battery charger though, and the battery will not be that cheap, and it requires maintenance (you have to charge it, not overcharge it, erc.,etc.).

You could buy a power supply but you really need quite a lot of current (probably).

The sensible thing to do is buy a mains power amplifier, maybe secondhand off ebay. It won't cost much more than a decent power supply, and you won't have to faff around. You could sell the car amp on ebay to offset some of the cost, or (better) hang onto it until you have a car you can put it in.

Decide how much power you need (what kind of speakers, how big the room, party or everyday listening), put your rough location in your details, and somebody will make a recommendation.

w

Oh, bypassing the internal supply; not unlesss u're happy taking a substantial risk of destroying the whole thing.

Last edited by wakibaki; 17th June 2010 at 10:56 AM.
Old 17th June 2010, 05:04 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Iīm not sure , if you place a diode in the line of +12v of one power supply you will avoid the return of tension . so donīt try it. forget what I said, do always the right thing, try to use a baterry or buy a expensive apropiated power supply.

Hide this!Advertise here!