Help for Full Bridge 800W quasi resonant SPM - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th May 2010, 09:42 PM   #1
orfeus is offline orfeus  Greece
diyAudio Member

Default Help for Full Bridge 800W quasi resonant SPM

The worst and most difficult is when you have to handle with projects in which you must create something that you have not found in schematics. Things goes far worst when nobody else have. I created a very simple tube-IC preamp , which i plug in a final stage NAD amplifier and test it in comparison with a McLaren with a Dynaudio set. Although i had 1000 times more distortion in 1khz the votes of professionalists (including maclaren owner where 4 of 4 for tube-NAD).It took me about 3 months. Then i designed a predesigned mosfet amplifier with National LME49830TB. It was relative easy. Since then I try for 8 months to design a full bridge SPM and i'm stuck. There are major problems. In fact i maybe miss some theory. Can't find out how can you keep voltage constant and clear from ripples in high energy variations. I need +-70Volts/12Amps output from 220AC mains. There are many SPMs in the internet for 50-100Euro but i doubt if they'll work. If anyone knows, i need a 800W quasi resonant full bridge 100Mhz(at least) PS. Tried schematics with LTC3722-2. (simulations seems wrong). Any suggestions? Any idea? Any experience?
Old 30th May 2010, 10:02 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to lorylaci
100 Mhz ? - what high power FET could handle that high frequency? Why is that necessary?
800W + Full-bridge - for that power half-bridge shouldn't be better?
At 100kHz you can easily handle 800W with small cores (ETD44), and common FETs or IGBTs, and with quasi-resoant it should be low-noise, with minimal filtering
Old 31st May 2010, 04:03 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thank you for your response. why 100Mhz? This is because the EM noise from cores will definitelly exist. The audio spectrum is till 20khz. Lets suppose that we hear just in 15Khz. In 15Khz-20kHz the ringind from EM nose will be of 3-4th order low, so the frequency - noise response will be better in the final product. Why full bridge? This is because the half bridge MOSFETS will consume much more energy and probably they will need a fan cooling. My target is to put a large cooling core but no fan at all. Also, the full bridge topology can be used in higher power demand SPMs. The cores will not be a problem. FAIRCHILD has some ultra fast high energy mosfets. Any schematics idea?
Old 31st May 2010, 07:28 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to runebivrin
Are you sure you're you don't mean 100kHz? 100MHz will be almost impossible for a hobbyist. Just the lead inductance and inter-lead capacitance on the MOSFET:s will be prohibitive, not to mention the difficulty of finding a driver circuit and rectifier diodes that work well at that speed.
Old 31st May 2010, 09:19 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Sorry people, serius spelling problem, you are wright.I said 3-4 order of 20Khz...it's about 100Khz. In first post it was too late and in second it was too early, in both cases my eyes were closed Any idea?
Old 1st June 2010, 01:19 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I have a phase shift modulated bridge design using the 74C14 (CD40106) and discrete parts. I share it with anyone interested, but the LTspice file is the way I do so because I often draw my diagrams unusually tight and hard for a lot of other people to follow. it has a lower clock frequency, but you might try speeding up the MOSFET turn-on times. Reducing the level shifter pull-up resistor is one way to do so. i have attached it if you are interested.
Attached Files
File Type: zip ph-shft-discr_drv-MOSlvl-USMPS-21909.zip (5.6 KB, 247 views)
Old 1st June 2010, 04:45 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Mess!! You fix it via net commands?

Thank you pal, i'll try to decrypt it and comment to you
Old 2nd June 2010, 03:54 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

You're welcome. I will try to help you with answers to questions that you may wish to ask.
Old 3rd June 2010, 02:29 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

It didn't occur to me that the CD4000 library ought to be included with the phase shift bridge circuit, in the folder. A great tip for LTspice fans like me is to add the CD4000 library to the main components library so that the CD40106 or any other common CMOS device can be selected from the drop down menu in the tool bar. I am re-uploading the phase shift bridge power supply folder with the CD4000 library file included.
Attached Files
File Type: zip ph-shft-discr_drv-MOSlvl-USMPS-21909 (2).zip (12.6 KB, 177 views)
Old 3rd June 2010, 04:46 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

WoW!!! Very cool waveform!!! Thank you Mr Electrone!! It rocks! and as far as i see it is a low budget solution. Have you construct anything similar in reality?

Hide this!Advertise here!