Light Bulb Tester - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th March 2011, 05:27 PM   #11
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT
But, I think the switch must be push and hold to make. Otherwise it could accidentally be left ON, defeating the tester.
Label it carefully. Double-check before switching on (as you should anyway). Push and hold might require three hands!

Why subscribe to a magazine when information is free on the web?
Old 28th March 2011, 06:39 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
Why subscribe to a magazine when information is free on the web?
1 There is not only stupid stuff but also some dangerous answers on the web.
2 A magazine gives you information that is reviewed and corrected.
3 You can save a magazine and refer to it later, web pages fade away.
4 What you store on your computer often gets lost with time, upgrades and crashes.
5 Haven't you noticed even on the web when someone wants real information it comes from printed material.
6 Where do you think most of these projects started? Shunt regulators are a good example.
7 The web isn't free, you pay for service, advertisements pay for some, and your contribution also is needed.
Old 28th March 2011, 07:03 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

1 - agreed
2 - if only that were true - magazine articles can contain errors - it is astonishing how confidently some people can write about subjects which they are ignorant of - I am not talking about the minor errors which all authors make or debatable points, but genuine profound ignorance of a subject
3 - agreed
4 - maybe, depends on backups and compatibility (avoid Microsoft formats if you can!)
5 - depends on what you mean by real information - if it is old information then it is bound to be printed as the web has not been around very long
6 - ?
7 - agreed, but if you can filter out the nonsense the web is generally better value for money

Having said all that, I sometimes buy magazines!
Old 28th March 2011, 07:09 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
2 - if only that were true - magazine articles can contain errors - it is astonishing how confidently some people can write about subjects which they are ignorant of - I am not talking about the minor errors which all authors make or debatable points, but genuine profound ignorance of a subject
5 - depends on what you mean by real information - if it is old information then it is bound to be printed as the web has not been around very long
6 - ?
7 - agreed, but if you can filter out the nonsense the web is generally better value for money

Having said all that, I sometimes buy magazines!
2 Letters to the editor tend to correct errors, web threads often contain "corrections" that just ain't.
5 The old stuff still counts. Try the Radiotron Designers Handbook a bit big for a PDF.
6 It is interesting to watch how a single article starts a lot of web wanna be's! Of course if you don't subscribe you don't know that.
7 Let me know how much you spend on stuff that turns out not so good or even doesn't work, gets blown up etc.
Old 25th December 2011, 04:14 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

"bmcbob's" Light Bulb Tester

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 26th December 2011, 02:36 AM   #16
wwenze is offline wwenze  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Are the exposed metal parts part of the negative terminal?
Old 26th December 2011, 09:25 AM   #17
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Note in the lower diagram.
That the Neutral wire and Earth wire go straight through from input plug to output socket.
No where are these two wires exposed. That should be double insulated all the way through.
Old 26th December 2011, 03:31 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

A lamp limiter has to be built safely, otherwise it can't add safety to amp testing. Any exposed metal must be grounded.
Old 26th December 2011, 04:47 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

I think that Bob's switch/lamp holder is UL listed (often in exposed situations).

I don't know of any USA rules about double insulation for end users (just manufactures).

Last edited by Speedskater; 26th December 2011 at 04:49 PM. Reason: added content
Old 26th December 2011, 06:27 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

I wasn't talking about rules, but safety. Double insulation rules are difficult for DIY, so grounding external metal is the usual option. The lamp limiter in post 15 appears to show a switch with a metal frame connected in parallel with the lamp? If so, how is the switch frame grounded? It appears to depend for safety on the insulation within the switch.

Hide this!Advertise here!