How to drop voltage and current

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
I have on of those power supply, and I want to use it for powering a small amp and fm radio. The rated output is 12V DC 1.3A.
The power supply is suitable for the amp, but probably not for the radio, as this circuit is designed for a 9V battery. My need is to drop the voltage to 9V and also to drop the current because the radio only draws 8 mA, and feeding the circuit with a 1.3A would probably damage it.
What is the best way to have 9V 8mA from my power supply?
Thanks, Ralf

I think it is possible even to trim this psu to deliver 9V without any external components... :) In the photos in ebay I see the trimpot inside. Very possible, that by rotating of this thing you will get the desired voltage ;)

Attachments

• trim.GIF
    trim.GIF
    90.6 KB · Views: 327
Last edited:
Probably I wasn't clear. I would like to use one supply for both the amp and the radio, and the voltage is right for the amp. I was thinking to drop the voltage only for the radio circuit.

Oh, sorry, I have skipped some points reading your post... :eek:

Also, you can simply connect a 3.3V Zener Diode between 12V power supply and your radio, to get approx 9V :) This will be about 8.7V, but this should be ok... ;)

Last edited:
you can run the little power amp directly after the rectifier of the 12Vac 1.3Aac supply.
The DC voltage after rectification and smoothing will be about 16Vdc to 18Vdc.

If you really meant 12Vdc then run the amp direct off that supply.
From the same supply attach a lm7809 to give your 9V for the radio receiver. Download the datasheet for the lm7809 and follow the advice accurately.

Mmm, never used a zener, how do I connect it?
Will this one be good (zener from rs-components)?

Anyway, it will cost me less to use a L7809, if I only need the 2 non polarized caps depicted in the datasheet (0.1 and 0.33 uF), because I already have them.

Regarding the current drop, anybody knows for sure that my supply won't do any harm to the radio circuit based on a TDA7000, that needs only 8mA?

Thanks, Ralf

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.