SMPS input 127Vac, output 13.8VCC / 200A, true or fake ? to see this video: - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th April 2010, 05:14 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to albert_emule Send a message via MSN to albert_emule Send a message via Yahoo to albert_emule
Cool SMPS input 127Vac, output 13.8VCC / 200A, true or fake ? to see this video:

SMPS input 127Vac, output 13.8VCC / 200A, true or fake ?

to see this video:

YouTube - Poison Usina 200-Ampéres (teste)
Old 30th April 2010, 05:39 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I'll be honest & say i have never seen a clamp meter that reads DC current that way AC is a different animal & can be measured via a clamp meter in that fashion.

I'd have prefered to see it run through a current shunt
Old 30th April 2010, 05:42 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by event horizon View Post
I'll be honest & say i have never seen a clamp meter that reads DC current that way AC is a different animal & can be measured via a clamp meter in that fashion.

I'd have prefered to see it run through a current shunt
Really? I thought they were quite common.

Fluke 337 Current Clamp Meter

A shunt is probably more accurate though.
Old 30th April 2010, 05:48 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Well make that a first

I fail to see how a transformer works at DC, after all that is effectively what the clamp is (as far as i'm aware).

I actually took a look at a load on ebay before i posted my reply & every one i looked at even though they were described as AC/DC clamp meters only read current in AC. They measured voltage in AC & DC though.

Perhaps i'm missing something

E2A:- Fluke may have been clever about it & devised a way to reverse the windings (similar to AC) & then convert back to DC for all i know, this is the only way i can possibly figure they can measure DC current with the clamp.

& i still might be out by a country mile...

Last edited by event horizon; 30th April 2010 at 06:05 PM.
Old 30th April 2010, 06:11 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to albert_emule Send a message via MSN to albert_emule Send a message via Yahoo to albert_emule
Default event horizon

they are not only a Current Clamp Meter, It is also a sensor haus.
Old 30th April 2010, 06:35 PM   #6
djQUAN is offline djQUAN  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to djQUAN Send a message via Yahoo to djQUAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by event horizon View Post
Well make that a first

I fail to see how a transformer works at DC, after all that is effectively what the clamp is (as far as i'm aware).

I actually took a look at a load on ebay before i posted my reply & every one i looked at even though they were described as AC/DC clamp meters only read current in AC. They measured voltage in AC & DC though.

Perhaps i'm missing something

E2A:- Fluke may have been clever about it & devised a way to reverse the windings (similar to AC) & then convert back to DC for all i know, this is the only way i can possibly figure they can measure DC current with the clamp.

& i still might be out by a country mile...
I've read about it before. they probably use hall effect sensors to detect DC magnetic fields and output a corresponding DC voltage.
Old 1st May 2010, 04:41 AM   #7
Cristi is offline Cristi  Europe
diyAudio Member

the real clamp-meters which can read both AC and DC currents use both windings, and Hall-effect sensors. they don't measure the current value, just detect the presence of the magnetic field, and there is a bias winding which generate a magnetic field which is opposite of of the field generated by the wire carring the current to be measured. the winding is biased with a current proportional to the current to be measured, so the field on the hall sensor will be cancelled. measuring the bias current actually can get the value of the measured current.
at least the ones which i use work in this way....
Old 1st May 2010, 07:39 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

The direct current measuring Tong Tester I have also. It's working principle is precision and simple and works on saturation type. Suppose a AC is give in addition to DC. Now induced AC will depend on the magnitising slope position of that core curve and can be calculated through a microcontroller.

The traction current is measured on the same principle in the Kolkata metro Railway Coaches and was known as DCCT. All traction series motors current is measured using either DCCT or measuring shunt and isolation transducer. (magnitically coupled) two side electronics component.

Hope you can realise.
Old 1st May 2010, 04:21 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

This is why i like this site, you learn new stuff nearly every day

Thanks for the enlightening, i bow down to your vastly greater knowledge of clamp meters

Hide this!Advertise here!