35khz High Frequency AC - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd May 2010, 06:17 PM   #21
Mooly is online now Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

It's nice to see simple logic stuff on here but 5 volts swing on the gate is not enough to switch a HEXFET cleanly... and it's hugely inefficient with resistive loading to.
Old 2nd May 2010, 06:54 PM   #22
Banned

I'm hardly surprised to see the circuit draw some criticism Mooly, and no, it probably won't drive the FET cleanly and it is inefficient but so what?

Now you have the opportunity to post an alternate circuit of your own rather than just sit on the sidelines and heckle.

w
Old 2nd May 2010, 07:23 PM   #23
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakibaki View Post
I'm hardly surprised to see the circuit draw some criticism Mooly, and no, it probably won't drive the FET cleanly and it is inefficient but so what?

Now you have the opportunity to post an alternate circuit of your own rather than just sit on the sidelines and heckle.

w
I'll not be drawn into an argument over it, I was merely stating something that a less experienced reader may not have appreciated... and for them to then build it at face value and wonder why it doesn't perhaps work as it was intended. Even you yourself acknowledge ,now it's been pointed out, that perhaps it won't perform as well as first thought.

And really, if you think I just sit on the sidelines and "heckle", then you have been very very selective in your reading of the threads and replies of mine over the months and years.
Old 2nd May 2010, 10:03 PM   #24
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooly View Post
Even you yourself acknowledge ,now it's been pointed out, that perhaps it won't perform as well as first thought.
I am capable of designing a MOSFET driver. On balance, I chose to omit it.

I also looked at putting the transformer in the drain circuit...

I have also ignored the fact that TTL dislikes having outputs connected together.

Now you have an opportunity to submit an alternate circuit.

w

Last edited by wakibaki; 2nd May 2010 at 10:21 PM.
Old 13th June 2010, 12:27 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Come on! I am trying to make a power supply which will put out a 35-50 Khz 1v AC sine wave. There are to be NO TRANSISTORS OR IC's!!!!!!

I wonder if it might be possible to use a 12v relay to buzz an automotive coil, which will run a Tesla circuit. This Tesla circuit would have a capacitor, automotive spark-plug, and that would make HF AC around 1-3 Mhz. That HF/HV AC would be stepped down with a small Tesla coil to 12-14v HF AC.

I don't know if that can work. But any ideas on how to make this would a spark gap?
I appreciate any help, thanks.
Old 13th June 2010, 01:11 PM   #26
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicProtection View Post
Come on! I am trying to make a power supply which will put out a 35-50 Khz 1v AC sine wave. There are to be NO TRANSISTORS OR IC's!!!!!!

I wonder if it might be possible to use a 12v relay to buzz an automotive coil, which will run a Tesla circuit. This Tesla circuit would have a capacitor, automotive spark-plug, and that would make HF AC around 1-3 Mhz. That HF/HV AC would be stepped down with a small Tesla coil to 12-14v HF AC.

I don't know if that can work. But any ideas on how to make this would a spark gap?
I appreciate any help, thanks.
You have lost me on what you are trying to do.

35 to 50 khz at 1 volt amplitude, sinusoidal, using no transistors or IC's. You need active devices !

A 12 volt relay ? that will switch at most a few 10's of hz if connected to "interupt" it's own coil supply.
Wouldn't like to say what the output of an automotive coil would look like at that... it would probably wipe out radio and tv for quite some distance.

Maybe I don't understand what you are trying to do.
Old 13th June 2010, 01:40 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:

35 to 50 khz at 1 volt amplitude, sinusoidal, using no transistors or IC's. You need active devices !

A 12 volt relay ? that will switch at most a few 10's of hz if connected to "interupt" it's own coil supply.
Wouldn't like to say what the output of an automotive coil would look like at that... it would probably wipe out radio and tv for quite some distance.

I am trying to make an audio magnetic amplifier. I am going off of instructions from this website:
Homemade Magnetic Audio Amplifier.

plus this video: YouTube - Homemade magnetic amplifiers made from common materials.

For the amp part I am going to try using the cores from a bunch of ATX power supplies. They have good 1:1 saturation reactors in them.

Now the prickly part nobody has a real answer for: it needs a 35+ Khz AC supply. You can use a triode tube according to this old paper:
http://www.aes.org/aeshc/pdf/how.the...ndamentals.pdf

But it doesn't have any specifics as to build the thing! And Nobody I talk to in town has the foggiest notion what I am talking about. Google has been next to useless.

My aim is to build a stereo mag-amp using WWII era technology. To run headphones or small speakers. Why? Because its neat.

Last edited by CivicProtection; 13th June 2010 at 02:10 PM.
Old 13th June 2010, 01:42 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:

That 1v volt SHOULD have been 12v. Sorry.
Old 13th June 2010, 02:06 PM   #29
Banned

Never mind Mooly, it's pretty obvious that the OP is not to be taken too seriously, which is why the circuit I posted is not to be taken too seriously.

I'm sorry if I was a bit short in my remarks to you, I hope you will forgive me...

w

High frequency alternators were used in the early days of radio, but they produced considerably higher voltages, and anyway, nobody would construct one nowadays.
Old 13th June 2010, 05:40 PM   #30
Elvee is offline Elvee  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicProtection View Post
That 1v volt SHOULD have been 12v. Sorry.
You could use the Poulsen principle, but with a lower frequency tuned circuit.
The "active element" doesnt need to be a real arc, you could use some kind of low pressure spark-gap, like a surge arrester or similar. Some have breakdown voltage under 80V and have a substantial negative resistance.

A Working Poulsen Arc Oscillator

Hide this!Advertise here!