no centre tap tranformer only 500va standard

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a 500va transformer without a centretap but i want to use it with my 200watt amplifier. Can i use this transformer without having a centre tap on it. If i use a second bridge diode like i have seen in some schematic how big does the capacitors have to be to feed the negative rail. If anyone has a schematic that shows me how to use a standard 500va transformer without a centre tap for a 200w rms amplifier. Thanks

Hi,

you can buil a simple virtual ground
as shown on the picture below.

Attachments

• alim500va.JPG
    alim500va.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
Sometimes a single output transformer actually does have two windings, but they are wired in parallel and only one set of leads come out into the world. This way the manufacturer can make a single type of transformer and market it four ways: dual secondaries, center tapped, single secondary with double the current, or a single secondary with double the voltage. They even sometimes do the same thing with the primary to allow 120 or 240 VAC operation. Most of the apparently single-secondary transformers I have salvaged have actually had two secondaries.

So if your transformer has flexible leads coming out of it (rather than the solid enamel coated winding wire), you can often cut into the paper or plastic covering which conceals the connection between the winding and the leads to reveal whether or not it has 2 windings that you can re-wire. Check it out, you may be surprised.

Thanks guys i much appreciate your help the transformer actually has 3 voltage ranges all ac of course one reads 34vac second 30vac and third is 24vac so iam not sure if i could use the second voltages as a part of it thanks for that schematic iam really happy to get that your a legend

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.