New power supply for Logitech Duet - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th April 2010, 06:03 PM   #1
VT67 is offline VT67  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Default New power supply for Logitech Duet

Hi guys

Is there somebody out here who had a chance to take a look at the insides of the VDC 9.0 from CIAudio? As I'm looking for a new power supply for my Logitech Duet I am curious if it's worth the money there asking for it.
CIAudio VDC-9.0 Squeezebox Duet/Wadia iTransport Power Supply

Other alternative is a DIY PS. Better performance for less money? Any ideas are welcome.

Regards
Old 10th May 2010, 09:14 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Kurt von Kubik
Hi there

I do not own a Squeezebox duet, but the touch instead.
The Touch is delivered with a small plug in PSU with switc mode technology.
It is rated @ 5V 3A DC output.
I had my touch about a month ago, but I found it sounding very harsh, and irritating. A friend and me then decided to do a few experiments to see if the sound can be improved.
First step was to try out an alternative PSU, for that we tried the nice old Bang & Olufsen lab supply which happens to have a dedicated logic supply rated @ excactly 5V 3A DC, so this looks really nice.
A small chord was soldered together and a 470F 25V electrolytic decoupling cap was paralelled at the DC input plug, just outside the Touch.

The result was an absolutely surprice.
Ive never before heard soundquality depend so much on supply as this one does.
Theoretically the reason can also be, that the rest of the set-up is very allergic towards the noise injected from the original switch mode supply, but, at least I do not think it is that way.

Looking at the power consumption, it seems a bit strange, that the PSU supplied, is a 5V 3A type, because I cannot make it consume anymore than 600 mA. But headroom normally is good, but with SMPS it does not really make sense.

The consumption varies somewhat, it swings around +- 100 mA in 2 Hz cycles, which looks as if the processor takes in packages from the source in these pulses.
So a regulated supply is pretty much needed for the Touch.

Another observation Ive made is, that the sound quality highly depends on the data source. I.e. using the wi-fi option and downloading from a computer, the sound takes on a strange hardness, which I very much dislike.
Using a USB HDD the sound flows in much more natural way, but this does not go for a USB memory stick. The memory stick is also hard sounding.

For all this, Ive used the SPDIF coax out only and a seperate DAC, as the internal one is of poor quality, the build in is actually an AKM DAC with build in charge pump, driving the output directly.

After this Ive decided to build my own regulated PSU for the Touch.
This will be regulated with a LM317 regulator and then a noise cancelling circuit and proper decoupling with high quality Panasonic and Evox caps.

Next step is to build a jitterkiller with WM8805s daisy chained and precission clocks.
Maybe more about this later, if it works.

Last edited by Kurt von Kubik; 10th May 2010 at 09:17 AM.
Old 10th May 2010, 01:51 PM   #3
jrenkin is offline jrenkin  United States
diyAudio Member

Search the forum a little. there was a recent thread on this and i posted a link to a really nice add on PS that made a huge difference for under $100. I don't have time to look for it now before I go to work. This one took a little work building on connectors and could be modified if you want. It is a linear rather than switching and even my wife, who general rolls eyes at all these things, remarked spontaneously how much better the sound was.
Old 10th May 2010, 05:58 PM   #4
jrenkin is offline jrenkin  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrenkin View Post
Search the forum a little. there was a recent thread on this and i posted a link to a really nice add on PS that made a huge difference for under $100. I don't have time to look for it now before I go to work. This one took a little work building on connectors and could be modified if you want. It is a linear rather than switching and even my wife, who general rolls eyes at all these things, remarked spontaneously how much better the sound was.
Here it is. SLS-05-030-1T - SOLA POWER SUPPLY, 5VDC @ 3A LINEAR, REGULATED, OPEN INCLUDES O.V.P.
Old 10th May 2010, 06:52 PM   #5
VT67 is offline VT67  Belgium
diyAudio Member

@Kurt von Kubik
Nice write up of your findings.

@jrenkin
The Duet however needs 9V so the PS you are suggesting wont do.

I'm working on a Sigma11 from AMB and a GOLD mini regulator from coffin. As soon as they are finished I will compare them to the stock supplied wal-wart.

Regards
Old 10th May 2010, 10:57 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Kurt von Kubik
Quote:
Originally Posted by VT67 View Post
@Kurt von Kubik
Nice write up of your findings.

@jrenkin
The Duet however needs 9V so the PS you are suggesting wont do.

I'm working on a Sigma11 from AMB and a GOLD mini regulator from coffin. As soon as they are finished I will compare them to the stock supplied wal-wart.

Regards
TY

What I believe is, that these devices do not like common mode noise, which is exactly what a SMPS is emitting. Btw I dont think any electronic audio circuit will actually perform better with common mode noise in the supplies.

Good luck with your 9V supply, I hope youll experience the same thing I did.
Old 30th May 2010, 03:41 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT67 View Post

Regards
Hi VT67,
I would love to hear your result for both regulated PSU.
I'm planning to make GOLD Mini regulator for my Onkyo ND-S1 (5v/1A) as well....

Hide this!Advertise here!