commercial smps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi gents and ladies,

Im looking for a commercial available Smps to power a multichannel class d amp.

I am looking for big power!

What options is there?

hypex smps 1200 approx 430euro
coldamp sps80 210euro
red rock audio impulse smps6060pfc(cant find a price)
Other?

Do you have comments on the above smps's, please dont hesitate!

best regards

panduro

Commercial smps

I have dual 4 channel chip amps, each with a smps of 27v. The chips are Tripath 2050. Set up as dual monoblocks. I will build active 4 way crossovers soon.
The 'boys' here on diyaudio like Meanwell SMPS on ebay sold by Sure Electronics. Sure are reliable vendors. They also sell Meanwell clones from their "modders" ebay shop. I bought these for us30 each.
Sure sold me my amp's and my smps's. I can recommend them.
Phil in Australia

Hi gents and ladies,

Im looking for a commercial available Smps to power a multichannel class d amp.

I am looking for big power!

What options is there?

hypex smps 1200 approx 430euro
coldamp sps80 210euro
red rock audio impulse smps6060pfc(cant find a price)
Other?

Do you have comments on the above smps's, please dont hesitate!

best regards

panduro

Hi All,
I would add to your list of SMPS on trade also DPS-400.
is designed specifically for audio amplifiers, a DPS-400 can feed two perfectly 240W amplifier (4R) rms noise-free.
at € 78 you'll be two for four channels:)
It is elegant way for solve...I think.

Regards

First, thanks for the answers!

I havent decided on which class d powermodules im an going to use!

it will start its life as a 3 channel amp powering two b&w natilus smcs(8ohm) and a diy 12" sealed sub(2ohm).
I want something like 2 x 200W 8ohm and 1 x 800W 2 ohm!

Star 882: i can base it on anythng i want as i havent decided on pwm yet! does surplus telecom power supplies have enoughf power and what about their build, will it do soundwise?

Smiledon: how much power do you get from that setup? will look at Meanwell SMPS and Sure Electronics.

Ap2,(its added to the list) i looked at your new website 2 hours ago, dont know **** about tech so i wont comment on your product, but i think your dps-400 is a bit to small for my use.

I Want your oppinions!

best regards panduro

Hi,
To Panduro.
Thank but web is not my web-site.
yes,dps-400 is up to +/-58V480W. too small for your project.
--------------------------
regardless of the DPS-400, I recommend you use separate psu for your amplifiers because 800w @ 2R, creates a lot of intermodulation (very current) on the other amplifiers.
especially if they are class D.

Regards

Hi Ap2, Im sorry about that, I thought I read a post where You(apparently not) wrote about that compagny.

So You think i Should go for at least 2 powersupplies, one for my mains, and one for my sub!

hmm If i have to use more than one smps, maybe i have to think it over again.
Would it change things if I went the "oldfashioned" way with toroid and capaciators? should i still use 2 complete power supplies or could i use use 1 huge toroidal transformator and two capacitatorbanks?

best regards

panduro

Hi Ap2, Im sorry about that, I thought I read a post where You(apparently not) wrote about that compagny.

So You think i Should go for at least 2 powersupplies, one for my mains, and one for my sub!

hmm If i have to use more than one smps, maybe i have to think it over again.
Would it change things if I went the "oldfashioned" way with toroid and capaciators? should i still use 2 complete power supplies or could i use use 1 huge toroidal transformator and two capacitatorbanks?

best regards

panduro

Hi, no problem.:)
for your project I suggest you use one SMPS (good for audio use) to power two Amp (2x200 @ 8R) and a toroidal PSU for sub (800w).
800w @ 2R absorbs much current, it is preferable to a 800 Amp @ 8R (bridge). works much more rested and less THD. for use at home, there is no reason to use very low impedance (2R).

Regards

Hi againAP2,

is there ever a good reason to use 2 ohm? but none the less, thats what my woofer do and i dont want to exchange it as I love its sound!

maybe thats my best option then.

one thing you wrote confused me, smps good for audio?

I thought the normal consensus was that toroidal transformers are better? thougt that smps is being used because of its size and less heat output and not because it was better sounding?

best regards

panduro

Hi againAP2,

is there ever a good reason to use 2 ohm? but none the less, thats what my woofer do and i dont want to exchange it as I love its sound!

maybe thats my best option then.

one thing you wrote confused me, smps good for audio?

I thought the normal consensus was that toroidal transformers are better? thougt that smps is being used because of its size and less heat output and not because it was better sounding?

best regards

panduro

HI,
ok, I mean a good psu, well built, good design of SMPS suitable for audio)
or traditionally.
I do not agree to use single large toroid for all three amplifiers.
but this is just my opinion.

Regards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.