mains light bulb tester. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th April 2010, 05:03 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default mains light bulb tester.

I have used the search tool and found thousands of threads and posts with the words "Mains light bulb tester", but no luck finding a post with instructions on how to make and use it.
Old 8th April 2010, 06:00 AM   #2
jerryo is offline jerryo  Isle of Man
diyAudio Member

Hi,
try a site called "Decibel Dungeon"; if I remember correctly there are full instructions on the site. Very interesting site, so well worth a look at anyway.
Old 8th April 2010, 06:00 AM   #3
luka is offline luka  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to luka
??

I don't get this... why not just connect it to mains and see if it works?
Old 8th April 2010, 06:09 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I spent ten years as a professional lighting tech and never found a need for such a thing...
Old 8th April 2010, 06:23 AM   #5
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantramos79 View Post
I have used the search tool and found thousands of threads and posts with the words "Mains light bulb tester", but no luck finding a post with instructions on how to make and use it.
I assume you mean a light bulb tester to prevent damage to amps etc during fault finding

If so it's just a 60 or 100 watt mains filament bulb wired in series with the mains to the appliance.
If there is a fault, the bulb lights rather than blowing a load of semiconductors.

Perhaps "inrush current limiter" would be a better choice of words.
Old 8th April 2010, 07:59 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

@ jerryo, decibeldungeon is a helpful site, i'll have to do some more searching. @ Mooly, "I assume you mean a light bulb tester to prevent damage to amps etc during fault finding". Yes sir that's what i meant. I was gathering information about transformer wiring options and grounding techniques, and the bulb tester kept on showing up in the threads. That's what got me thinking i should build one for myself. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 8th April 2010, 10:23 PM   #7
Kinnja is offline Kinnja  United States
diyAudio Member

I haven't built one yet, but I expect to soon. I think one important issue is that the load--your amp for example, be in series with the bulb, not parallel.

I think the way the schematic at Decibel Dungeon is drawn can be a little confusing.

Check these two links:

The Dim-bulb Radio Tester

Dim Bulb Tester
Old 8th April 2010, 11:08 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

The poor man's variac I guess. I have used variable autotransformers for years and they are the best solution, but new ones today are ridiculously expensive.
Old 9th April 2010, 12:46 AM   #9
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

Enter "light bulb limiter" into google. You will get several links to instructions for building this extremely simple device on the first page of hits.

It is no more complex that inserting an incandescent light bulb in series with the equipment you are servicing. In its simplest form, a lamp socket with two clip wires coming from it, clipped in place of the mains fuse in the gear under test.
Old 9th April 2010, 07:11 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up thanks

Kinnja, two very helpful links thank you. And Enzo , i don't know why i didn't think to google it , thanks for the help, i appreciate the effort guys.

Hide this!Advertise here!