mains light bulb tester.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I have used the search tool and found thousands of threads and posts with the words "Mains light bulb tester", but no luck finding a post with instructions on how to make and use it.

I assume you mean a light bulb tester to prevent damage to amps etc during fault finding :)

If so it's just a 60 or 100 watt mains filament bulb wired in series with the mains to the appliance.
If there is a fault, the bulb lights rather than blowing a load of semiconductors.

Perhaps "inrush current limiter" would be a better choice of words.

@ jerryo, decibeldungeon is a helpful site, i'll have to do some more searching. @ Mooly, "I assume you mean a light bulb tester to prevent damage to amps etc during fault finding". Yes sir that's what i meant. I was gathering information about transformer wiring options and grounding techniques, and the bulb tester kept on showing up in the threads. That's what got me thinking i should build one for myself. Thanks for the help guys.

Enter "light bulb limiter" into google. You will get several links to instructions for building this extremely simple device on the first page of hits.

It is no more complex that inserting an incandescent light bulb in series with the equipment you are servicing. In its simplest form, a lamp socket with two clip wires coming from it, clipped in place of the mains fuse in the gear under test.

I spent ten years as a professional lighting tech and never found a need for such a thing...
and I am sure there are millions of other professionals in the electronics/electrical field that don't need one either.
They will all know how to safely wire up a twin primary transformer so that the windings are in phase and thus avoid a dead short across the mains supply.

It's us amateurs that need protecting from ourselves!

Se the following schematic:

Attachments

• Light_Bulb_Test.jpg
    Light_Bulb_Test.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 1,795
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.