Swapping in transformer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A particular monoblock power amplifier uses a 300 VA toroidal transformer, has 6 output devices and 80,000 uF of secondary capacitance. Would it be possible to swap in a 400 VA or 600 VA toroidal transformer without any other modifications or would other adjustments have to be made to utilize the larger transformers? What specifications must be considered to match a larger transformer with the system; output voltage and output current?

A particular monoblock power amplifier uses a 300 VA toroidal transformer, has 6 output devices and 80,000 uF of secondary capacitance. Would it be possible to swap in a 400 VA or 600 VA toroidal transformer without any other modifications or would other adjustments have to be made to utilize the larger transformers? What specifications must be considered to match a larger transformer with the system; output voltage and output current?

Well, with the 400vac you will not noticed much, but with the 600vac you will noticed that when you turn it on the lights will flicked a little bit also you can pop some main fuses too (use slow blow fuses). for that reason you should use a "soft start circuit" it even help the life expectancy of your transformer too. it is not a must but I would suggest it. you can also use plain thermistors one in the hot and one in the neutral lines before the transformer (primaries).
I would use thermistors or soft start circuits with big transformers like over 500vac. This is just my opinion maybe I am wrong here. let see what the pro say about it.

PS:This is how I used two thermistors in line, the transformer is a 670vac

Attachments

• IMG_2878.JPG
    IMG_2878.JPG
    911.7 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_2887.JPG
    IMG_2887.JPG
    885.3 KB · Views: 59

Wow thats a lot of capacitance for a 300VA transformer.
I have a disco amplifier that uses a 1000VA transformer with 2 * 10,000uF and sounds great even when very loud.

With that much capacitance the turn on surge will be massive through a larger transformer. So it looks like you will probably need an anti surge protect circuit.

Wow thats a lot of capacitance for a 300VA transformer.
I have a disco amplifier that uses a 1000VA transformer with 2 * 10,000uF and sounds great even when very loud.

With that much capacitance the turn on surge will be massive through a larger transformer. So it looks like you will probably need an anti surge protect circuit.

Wow, 1K vac with just 10,000uf per channel that is way poor:eek:!. I use a 670vac transformer using 40,000uf and in my gainclone I used 10,000uf per rail(LM3875) using 300vac.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.