CAPS ! One big or 4 small ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would have to agree with Steve, with a caveat. If you have the room for larger caps, then you have room for multiple smaller ones, and vice versa. The advantage with smaller caps I can think of:
1) Lower possible inductance
2) Lower possible ESR
3) Better High Freq. filtering (see above)
4) you can potentially use a lower profile enclosure for the whole shebang.

Peace,

Dave

Smaller caps have more surface area = more cooling capacity. I use a hundred 0.1uF's in parallel for my induction heater tank cap -- it's the only way to handle 200A with off the shelf components. Big SMPS may need a few caps in parallel for filtering if the switching draws big current pulses (e.g., huge flyback supply), when ripple current can be fairly high. Check the datasheet: in most cases, you can get away with just a few units, even for the most punishing of circuits.

If the question includes line frequency filters, *never* worry about them: there isn't an electrolytic in the world that isn't rated for line frequency filtering. It's just too easy.

Tim

Another vote for multiple small caps. :cool:

Attachments

• caps.jpg
    caps.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 257
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.