KV PS capacitor options - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th March 2010, 11:51 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default KV PS capacitor options

I am in the planning stages for an 845 SET amp. The PS will have to supply about 1100V 200ma.
The 1st cap will be around 10uF and the 2nd and 3rd caps will be between 40 to 50uF.
Trans --> rectifiers --> 10uF cap --> 6H Choke --> 50uF cap --> 6H Choke --> 50uF cap.
I found options, but I will have to mix brands or use multiple caps to get the voltage rating required. Also,if I understand correctly, the 1st cap will need to have a high AC rating (1.5KV+), but probably don't have to worry about the AC rating for the 2nd and 3rd cap.
I found the Solen 51uF 1500V caps intresting, JJ is often an option but I will have to stack 3 to get 1500V. I also found 10uF GE Dielektrol III caps on ebay. Not sure if there are other options.
Any suggestions for a KV PS ?

Last edited by lowtherdream; 25th March 2010 at 11:52 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 29th March 2010, 03:34 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default kV PSU capacitors

In the kV range, I find quite components are limited.
Depending on your budget, I suggest Cornell Dubilier Electronics, Inc. for capacitors, or raiding some junk microwave ovens for parts to build a prototype. They are great for rectifiers, capacitors and several kV power transformer.

Your transformer's regulation is important, as your caps will get possibly over-voltage under no load conditions- depending on solid-state or tube rectifier choice and b+ time delay. I go with a safety factor of 2X or suggest at least a 2kV rating unless bleeder resistors have a fair load.

Your last capacitor down the chain has the most sonic effect, as the chokes filter out most harmonics, and I would splurge there.
Careful finding chokes that can take that kind of voltage, most are rated less than 1kV.

Hide this!Advertise here!