Micromega STAGE 6: help with noisy transformer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My Micromega Stage 6 has developed a continuous buzzing sound/noise in the transformer (inside the blue plastic casing). The noise is quite irritating and prevents me from enjoying music. Else, everything is functioning fine.
I would appreciate any help on how I can get rid of the problem/where I can find a replacement transformer?

Perhaps someone has a non-working micromega stage player which would like to dump and can make me available the transformer!

would appreciate your help
jawa lallchand
UK

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
:) Always best to post questions on the forum rather than using email :)

So here it is again ;)

The encapsulated transformers MM used had a bit of a reputation for being noisy. Harmonics on the mains and a slight DC offset are a common cause... particularly if it seems worse at some times of day.
This explains it,
Mains DC and Transformers

might be worth trying the trick mentioned there (AC coupling it)

As to modding the player... well I have never worked on a Stage 6 but I would look at the usuals such as opamps (5534 ?) particularly if that's used as the I/V convertor. I found the OPA604 a good replacement, but beware if any opamps make use of the offset null pins as not all opamps are the same in that case.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.