Where do you get your transformers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I'm looking for a toroidal transformer to power an Aleph 5. I see that the rails should be ~34v. So I guess I need a 25-30v transformer that provide 650-800VA. The question is : where do you guys get yours?

I've looked at digikey, mouser, partconnections and piltron. Piltron do not have stocks in canada, and partexpress offers avel linberg transfos, but none have adequate voltage/wattage...

Thanks,

Oli

Thanks for theses suggestions! I already contacted them.

It seem that the most adequate AC voltage for an Aleph 5 is 2v28V, but I did not see any seller that offer this voltage. I guess I will have to go custom, but before, I would like to know if it is possible to get a 2x30V transfo and reduce voltage on rails with a regulator or voltage divider? I already did this using a LM317T regulator but it was a tiny power supply carrying a lot less current than the 1.5A than the lm317 can output.

If im right, with a 2x30V at 800VA, that would be almost 10A per rails... is it possible to get the ~42VDC to the ideal 34V without too much pain (and heat)?

Thanks !

Oli

I can highly recommend the custom wound transformers from sumR, Richard is a great guy to deal with too, fantastic quality stuff. the only thing that stops me using him for every project is the shipping from canada of such heavy packages is insane!!. if I lived in canada try and stop me, I would be ordering them left right and center.

as it is for anything mission critical, I go to him. the fact you can specify pretty much anything is great. for my dac I got 3 fully encapsulated transformers in cans with 18AWG solid core pure copper leads. also being able to order with 240v primaries instead of having to wire them in series was cool, so much neater.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.