power supply for baldwin reverb box

Hello, my name is omar, i built a tube amp and now i want to add a reverb unit i found. how can i power this clean and hum free? it is going to go into a clone of a bassman 5f6a it is originally from a baldwin organ. I think the transistors are S429-2? cant really find much..but i need the 22+ I would be able to build a ps with its own transformer? HELLP i dont want to screw this up.

4367175876_f2f231f5f4_o.jpg

that schem is one half of it....it has two springs/circuits....here are pictures of the unit:

4370210973_21da5b4652_o.jpg

4370210907_34e2d127a8_o.jpg

I really dont know how to find out about what kind of power supply to build...i dont know how much current should it get? i dont know anything about time variant equations either...well not enough to find out the total power i should give it.....if someone could help me with a ps circuit i could trade for more schematics (knight, bogen, setchell carlson, redd47,) i even have a wurlitzer reverb tank that needs power maybe for sale or trade as well...so whatdoya say?

The schematic says it runs on a single +22VDC supply. That voltage is not critical, so make a nice clean supply of 22v or so and it should run. Note there is no filtration or decoupling on this schematic, so the supply needs to be well filtered. it is class A circuits, and it is just a guitar amp, so I don't see the need for a regulated supply, just a clean supply.

There is no input cap, I strongly advise you add one, because the input connects directly to a transistor base.

The schematic shows the reverb circuit then seems to turn into a little block diagram showing some amplifier stages and a speaker. You would probably just want to take the output and feed it back into your signal path at a reasonable level. You will also want to make sure the signal you tap to feed this thing is of appropriate level for it. DOn;t tap some plate signal in the amp where the amplitude is 30v.

Your supply probably doesn;t need to supply a lot of current, there are only three transistors.

FInd a source of 20-25v on your bench and connect it up, run some signal through it and connect the output to some sort of amplifier, just to see what it sounds like. You really ought to do that before you engineer it into your amp.

thank you enzo...this will probably help me at least a bit. so i need a dc source of like 24v and filter that with a cap and i should be good? i could use a wall wart that has low current? how low is low a couple hundred miliamps? actually that would be 6 transistors...there are two identical perf boards in there.

Last edited:
yes yes i am reading a little more so yeah i figured that out ....will test it out today with a variable power supply that should give me an idea of what it would sound like...should be cheesy spring 70s apparently its the same thing that went into the baldwin professional guitar amp c1 as well as theatre organs...it is also different because it is such a short spring.....we shall see i could always use the wurlitzer instead if i dont liike it....it needs a ps to by the way!!