panasonic fm vs elna silmic 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th February 2010, 10:38 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default panasonic fm vs elna silmic 2

Hi.I want to use high quality caps in power supply of my preamps and buffers.In some tests I saw that elna silmic 2 have the best quality.But i see that in diyaudio.com polls people use panasonic fm most.I can buy cheaply both these capacitors.Which one should i choose as a best power supply cap of preamps? thanks
Old 5th February 2010, 10:50 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Is my question silly ? This is the test i had a look.It says Elna silmic 2 is better.What do you think?

http://tech.juaneda.com/en/articles/...apacitors.html

Last edited by umut1001; 5th February 2010 at 11:00 AM.
Old 5th February 2010, 11:03 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I use the Panasonic FM most of the time. They are easy to get and not very expensive.
They sound very dynamic and clean. I have no experience with the Silmic but a friend i trust says they sound a bit warmer then the FM. You say you can get them cheaply, so why not try yourself. Caps like that are better used in preamps and low level circuits. For poweramps Pannasonic makes special series ( i think THS), so does Rifa, Epcos etc.
Old 5th February 2010, 12:47 PM   #4
wwenze is offline wwenze  Singapore
diyAudio Member

FM comes in bigger voltages and capacity than Silmic II
Old 5th February 2010, 05:21 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Nazar_lv
All low impedance capacitors such Panasonic FC/FM Elna RJH etc sound bad with improper tonal balance and dirty sound compared to Nichicon KZ, FG, BG FK NX, Elna Cerafine, Silmic II, Silmic
Old 5th February 2010, 06:27 PM   #6
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazar_lv View Post
All low impedance capacitors such Panasonic FC/FM Elna RJH etc sound bad with improper tonal balance and dirty sound compared to Nichicon KZ, FG, BG FK NX, Elna Cerafine, Silmic II, Silmic
I mostly agree but FMs are not so bad but for sure Silimics/Silmics II are much better both for coupling and PS of low power apps like opamps, preampli and so on...
Old 13th February 2010, 07:02 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazar_lv View Post
Hi.You know that in class A circuits ripple current of caps are the most important thing.Do you prefer elna silmic caps to panasonic fm in class a preamps? thanks
Old 13th February 2010, 09:37 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

If you can (necessary rated voltage & capacitance) use Elna Silmic II instead Panasonic FM, but as early mentioned some voltages & capacitances Elna Silmic II don' arrive & Panasonics FM arrives.

Better than Elna Silmic II are Black Gates, if you can pay the difference of money (BG are expensives than Elnas) & if you can get BG (due to discontinued manufacturing).
Old 13th February 2010, 03:45 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Nazar_lv
Quote:
Hi.You know that in class A circuits ripple current of caps are the most important thing
hi. No, this is not the important thing in real world.
Quote:
Do you prefer elna silmic caps to panasonic fm in class a preamps? thanks
yes
Quote:
Better than Elna Silmic II are Black Gates, if you can pay the difference of money (BG are expensives than Elnas) & if you can get BG (due to discontinued manufacturing).
Better than Elna Silmic is Elna Cerafine, Nichicon KZ, BG NX, Panasonic Pureism (PZ, PXL)
Old 13th February 2010, 04:50 PM   #10
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

i'm pretty much totally with nazar here. for power supply of low level, low noise devices I would always go with Nichicon KZ, FG, FW (hmm magnetic leads but come in LARGE values, benefits from a small film cap bypass like wima or evox) then the elna range, RFS, cerafine, silmic II.

I actually prefer the KZ to BG FK in some instances. the panas are very good value though and in localized power supply bypassing/reservoirs it would be them or sanyo SP/SEPC in parallel with a nice SMD organic polymer or silver mica for me.

though in the signal path I would take BG N or silmic II if voltages suit

Hide this!Advertise here!