4KW EE65 Transformer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A word to all potential SMPS developers for the US market. The majority of the US has 120 VAC @60 Hz throughout a typical residential dwelling. Most are 15 Amp circuits. That is, the circuit is protected by a 15 amp circuit breaker. Some newer kitchens are wiring with 20 amp circuits and a 20 amp breaker. Physically, the plug/socket does look a little different to identify those outlets but an appliance intended for a 15 amp circuit can be plugged into a 20 amp circuit. So, the most you can get out of the lowly 15 amp circuit anywhere in the house is around 1800 watts (120v * 15A). 220 volts is reserved for those devices (stoves, ovens, dryers, A/C) that require additional power, over and above what can be provided by the 120 volt outlets. All 220 volt applications are typically wired with a dedicated outlet and a separate circuit breaker for that outlet only.

A word to all potential SMPS developers for the US market. The majority of the US has 120 VAC @60 Hz throughout a typical residential dwelling. Most are 15 Amp circuits. That is, the circuit is protected by a 15 amp circuit breaker. Some newer kitchens are wiring with 20 amp circuits and a 20 amp breaker. Physically, the plug/socket does look a little different to identify those outlets but an appliance intended for a 15 amp circuit can be plugged into a 20 amp circuit. So, the most you can get out of the lowly 15 amp circuit anywhere in the house is around 1800 watts (120v * 15A). 220 volts is reserved for those devices (stoves, ovens, dryers, A/C) that require additional power, over and above what can be provided by the 120 volt outlets. All 220 volt applications are typically wired with a dedicated outlet and a separate circuit breaker for that outlet only.

USA....Europe 220~240v , i have 46 amps breaker and it's not an industrial place , just my simple house:D , 4kw it's easy to obtain .......

On that note, and this is a serious question, is there anything in the code about selling a product that plugs into multiple outlets? or would such a product even have a chance of getting UL listed?

(the power would be handled through an isolated PFC, so it won't care if one goes down)

On that note, and this is a serious question, is there anything in the code about selling a product that plugs into multiple outlets? or would such a product even have a chance of getting UL listed?
Well some large power amplifiers have two power cords, so it might be possible, but on those amps the only thing in common is the chassis.
The big problem is that the two outlets may be on the same circuit or on two circuits of the same phase or two circuits of the opposite phase. So you only have a 1 in 3 chance of getting it right.

please forgive me, but if you are building a 4 kw power supply, i wonder how you are going to extract that kind of power from a household electrical outlet?

in the united states we operate on 115 volts, 15 amps maximum. peak currents might justify 4kw power supply, but i'm afraid the electrical outlet might not keep up, or pop a circuit breaker.

when i saw mcintosh 2000 watt amps at a hi fi store, i wondered how they could rate it at 2kw rms - which means about 3-4 kw including inefficiencies - when the most you can pull from an outlet is about 1600 watts.

a 1,000 watt amp seems to be the real-world limit unless you're plugging into your electric clothes dryer outlet (and have an amp designed for a 230 volt 40 amp connection)

please forgive me, but if you are building a 4 kw power supply, i wonder how you are going to extract that kind of power from a household electrical outlet?

in the united states we operate on 115 volts, 15 amps maximum. peak currents might justify 4kw power supply, but i'm afraid the electrical outlet might not keep up, or pop a circuit breaker.

when i saw mcintosh 2000 watt amps at a hi fi store, i wondered how they could rate it at 2kw rms - which means about 3-4 kw including inefficiencies - when the most you can pull from an outlet is about 1600 watts.

a 1,000 watt amp seems to be the real-world limit unless you're plugging into your electric clothes dryer outlet (and have an amp designed for a 230 volt 40 amp connection)
This is most likely 230v supply, where you have no problem getting this power. Amp are easy when it comes to power, since music is so dynamic, it draws great amount of power, but much less then peak. And your outlet can provide that peak

In the US 20 Amp and now 120V or sometimes 125 Volt circuits are in almost all homes. This 20 Amps is a continuous rating, that is a 3 hour rating. A 20 Amp circuit might support close to 100 Amps for less than a second. So no it won't handle anywhere near a 4 kW test tone, it might come close with music.

In the US 20 Amp and now 120V or sometimes 125 Volt circuits are in almost all homes. This 20 Amps is a continuous rating, that is a 3 hour rating. A 20 Amp circuit might support close to 100 Amps for less than a second. So no it won't handle anywhere near a 4 kW test tone, it might come close with music.
For music should be cool, you can always store a lot of energy at high voltage in caps... and you only need to refill them, it works in car audio, it will work in any audio setup

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.