Assessing the quality of an SMPS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have in my possession a box full of different 12v SMPS units. They're all in the 2.5-4.5A range. With tools like a DMM or a basic scope, and/or physical inspection, it is possible to tell which of these supplies are of higher quality and would be the best choice for use with low power tripath amps?

Most have brand names of Asian Power Designs, FSP, Lian Li or Electricity Power Source.

I have in my possession a box full of different 12v SMPS units. They're all in the 2.5-4.5A range. With tools like a DMM or a basic scope, and/or physical inspection, it is possible to tell which of these supplies are of higher quality and would be the best choice for use with low power tripath amps?

I would consider ripple, noise, load regulation, and the ability to handle load transients to be figures of merit. Some SMPS designs need a minimal load to work best. You should be able to do all of these with an oscilloscope, load, and a switch. Put the scope on the output, switch in a load that represents a jump from say 20% of rated to 80%, and watch the trace. If you look around, there's probably a standard test procedure for this.

The next indicator of quality might be a long warranty. If one of these is guaranteed for several years, the design is conservative.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.