simple SMPS - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th January 2010, 03:46 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ionutzxpo
Default simple SMPS

hello i found this IR2153 based smps and i don't know if it's ok ive bought all the parts but im scared to go ahead whit the build..."im new in smps build"...thanks
Attached Images
File Type: gif smps.GIF (10.0 KB, 2111 views)
Old 6th January 2010, 05:14 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

That's a very bare bones circuit I see no snubbers on the primary or secondary of the power transformer. Where ever you got the circuit from i hope it told you what type of transformer to use & turns ratios, ferrite material etc. Also no mention of input filtering apart from a simple block diagram, you'll need a couple of filter types to prevent noise getting back into the mains

It's also non regulated, i do hope you realise that.
Old 7th January 2010, 09:34 AM   #3
m-tech is offline m-tech  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Actually, you can build very nice and small SMPS using IR2153 ( without output voltage regulation ). But your schematic need little improvements ( you need to add snnubers, inpu NTC, and some kind of overcurrent limit.
You can find lots of stuff on net.
I am very happy with my IR2153 based smps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yamaha EMX5000.jpg (309.1 KB, 2210 views)
Old 7th January 2010, 11:36 AM   #4
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-tech View Post
Actually, you can build very nice and small SMPS using IR2153 ( without output voltage regulation ). But your schematic need little improvements ( you need to add snnubers, inpu NTC, and some kind of overcurrent limit.
You can find lots of stuff on net.
I am very happy with my IR2153 based smps.

You tried the SMPS in the above schematic?
I think the only problem there is the IGBTs, i am trying to replave them with any other model.
Old 7th January 2010, 11:38 AM   #5
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionutzxpo View Post
hello i found this IR2153 based smps and i don't know if it's ok ive bought all the parts but im scared to go ahead whit the build..."im new in smps build"...thanks
Some BLOWUPS, may occure with this design. be carfull
Old 7th January 2010, 12:36 PM   #6
m-tech is offline m-tech  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by microsim444 View Post
You tried the SMPS in the above schematic?
I think the only problem there is the IGBTs, i am trying to replave them with any other model.
No that exactly. I'm using mosfets, not igbt. It 's similiar to this classd.ru, with overcurrent protection.
Old 8th January 2010, 04:55 PM   #7
Florin is offline Florin  Romania
Account Disabled

I want to do the source that the scheme does not look so complicated and I think I can handle. I originally wanted to buy ready-made boards from those who sell on the forum but not serious and treat me with indifference and reacted angrily when I made public that in fact what they sell is not functional yet. so I decided to do one source alone to show that it can be. I have to publish every stage of progress source here.
Old 22nd May 2010, 11:43 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to lorylaci
The circuit needs some modifications, but i've builted my first prototpye SMPS something like that (SPafi's very simple schematic). So it is really good for a start.
Instead of IRFP460 use IRF740 or IRF730, (much lower gate charge and cheaper). The 64k supply resistor should be lowered to 33k or 22k if more current need to drive FETs, but you should use an 5W resistor (the IC contains an internal 15V zener to supply itself).
You should not need 1000uf 200V caps, bit lower should be enough too. You can get about 100W easily, with a small ETD29 transformer, that should be enough for testing, driving small amps.
Old 22nd May 2010, 02:50 PM   #9
AP2 is offline AP2  Italy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorylaci View Post
The circuit needs some modifications, but i've builted my first prototpye SMPS something like that (SPafi's very simple schematic). So it is really good for a start.
Instead of IRFP460 use IRF740 or IRF730, (much lower gate charge and cheaper). The 64k supply resistor should be lowered to 33k or 22k if more current need to drive FETs, but you should use an 5W resistor (the IC contains an internal 15V zener to supply itself).
You should not need 1000uf 200V caps, bit lower should be enough too. You can get about 100W easily, with a small ETD29 transformer, that should be enough for testing, driving small amps.
Hi,
If You want can put complete simple scheme with this IC IR21531. i develop for any companies 2001 (now is free)
I have resolved three points on this circuit.
at switch-off stopped immediatelly.( normally ,decrease with continuos re-start)
protection short-cut (also at start see if ok) this is a problem with this ic, because pseudo-soft-start not have sense (start with fixed pwm and delay to start not save...explosion of mosfet)
use simple EE32 for 250w out (audio peak) not continuos resistive load.
use mosfet 38nb40 to-247.

regards

Last edited by AP2; 22nd May 2010 at 02:52 PM.
Old 24th May 2010, 02:10 PM   #10
savu is offline savu  Romania
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to savu Send a message via Yahoo to savu
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP2 View Post
Hi,
If You want can put complete simple scheme with this IC IR21531. i develop for any companies 2001 (now is free)
I have resolved three points on this circuit.
at switch-off stopped immediatelly.( normally ,decrease with continuos re-start)
protection short-cut (also at start see if ok) this is a problem with this ic, because pseudo-soft-start not have sense (start with fixed pwm and delay to start not save...explosion of mosfet)
use simple EE32 for 250w out (audio peak) not continuos resistive load.
use mosfet 38nb40 to-247.

regards
Hello AP2 ...

I would like to test the schematic, i have a chip on hand (Ionutzxop old board) and i want to make the smps for him. I wanted to use that yamaha schematic + modifications and Mosfet not IGBT + ETD44 core.
but if yours is simpeler I could try it

Best regards,

Savu Silviu

Hide this!Advertise here!