simple SMPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Protech"!

Unless you tell what exactly the problem is we must think it's your failure, not one of the schematic.
thank you pafi. transistors are amplifier of current. ir2153 leaves 5ma maximum. has you to calculate. by testing ir2153 it has died At 6ma of load. has 50khz igbt or mosfet requires an important current limited by resistance 10 ohm not more to guarantee reasonable loss of commutation. the current remains enormous for ir2153 even with these transistor:spin:

thank you pafi. transistors are amplifier of current. ir2153 leaves 5ma maximum. has you to calculate. by testing ir2153 it has died At 6ma of load. has 50khz igbt or mosfet requires an important current limited by resistance 10 ohm not more to guarantee reasonable loss of commutation. the current remains enormous for ir2153 even with these transistor:spin:
5 mA? Which current are you talking about? Gate driving? IR2153 can drive more than 100 mA. I used it many times in different SMPS designs, with or without buffer transistors. Up to about 40 nC of gate charge no buffer is needed. At higher gate charge it depends on the operating mode.

"has you to calculate": this is not a valid English sentence, impossible to decode for me. Or do you really mean IR2153 hired me to calculate its output current ?!? :D

5 mA? Which current are you talking about? Gate driving? IR2153 can drive more than 100 mA. I used it many times in different SMPS designs, with or without buffer transistors. Up to about 40 nC of gate charge no buffer is needed. At higher gate charge it depends on the operating mode.

"has you to calculate": this is not a valid English sentence, impossible to decode for me. Or do you really mean IR2153 hired me to calculate its output current ?!? :D

yes it will work but not for a long period. Pafi. I also made the test with 30 ir2153 and it is my conclusion. I destroyed 28 part. the only one which works are those with a current max. 5ma I tries hard to translate. thank you for your acceuil

Attachments

• ir2153.png
    ir2153.png
    114.8 KB · Views: 256
yes it will work but not for a long period.

It doesn't have to provide that current for long time, only for 100...200 ns twice in every cycle. And it does this perfectly in my SMPSs.

Pafi. I also made the test with 30 ir2153 and it is my conclusion. I destroyed 28 part.

In a well controlled test setup, or an SMPS? In a complete SMPS many things can go wrong for many reasons.

the only one which works are those with a current max. 5ma I tries hard to translate. thank you for your acceuil

That 25 mA limit refers to the capabilities of the zener diode (read Note1!), not the gate driver output! (Remember: "which current?") IR2153 is sadly not specified directly for gate driver current, but you can calculate it from rise time and fall time. See the attachment! 150 mA and 266 mA are the real currents (averaged for the transition).

Lets look it other way:

"The IR2153D(S) are an improved version of the
popular IR2155 and IR2151 gate driver ICs"

IR2155 is good for up to at least 210/420 mA:
http://www.irf.com/product-info/datasheets/data/ir2155.pdf
IR2153 is improved, so it shouldn't be much weaker.

Notice the same limit for Vcc exist in IR2155 datasheet, however clearly specified much more output current.

Attachments

• IR2153 out current calculation.png
    IR2153 out current calculation.png
    379.9 KB · Views: 252
[
the test is done with external 12v with lm317. and different mosfet and load. by measuring the average current consumed. when average current. exceeds 30ma ir2153 gets hot and burns in seconds. the rise time is another thing PAFI.

The rise time is related to gate driving current. I explained well. I hope you know basics of electrotechnics. Now you are talking about average supply current, previously you mentioned gate driving. Please decide which current do you want to talk about!

You didn't answer to the question in what circuit have you done your tests.

If I were you I'd stopped at the 2nd burnt IC and started to analyse waveforms in a safe environment...

When you reached 30 mA average current, many other parameters could exceed absolute maximum values, while you didn't monitor them. Developing based on only average values is a very bad idea. An oscilloscope is absolutely neccessary if you don't want to waste 4 years for nothing.

And why do you think average current was too much in that (posted) circuit?

Please keep in mind: that is a mass manufactured product. Your bad experience with your circuit cant override the fact that they are working.

the current remains enormous for ir2153 even with these transistor

Why do you think it's enormous? 2SA1020 and 2SC2655 need 20-30 mA of base current for 2 A of collector current. It is much within the capabilities of IR2153.

Last edited:
See the attachment! 150 mA and 266 mA are the real currents (averaged for the transition).

Lets look it other way:

"The IR2153D(S) are an improved version of the
popular IR2155 and IR2151 gate driver ICs"

IR2155 is good for up to at least 210/420 mA:
http://www.irf.com/product-info/datasheets/data/ir2155.pdf
IR2153 is improved, so it shouldn't be much weaker.

Notice the same limit for Vcc exist in IR2155 datasheet, however clearly specified much more output current.

Very good post, thank you.

Yes i will help many peaple to succeed. Whats this 10w smps? I like to see

Help? When will you start?

This "10 W SMPS" has 400 W continuous, 600 W peak output power, 8 % drop at full load, resonant, with overload protection and inrush current limiter. And this PCB fulfils the isolation requirements of a Class II device. It took about 4 weeks to develop.

Help? When will you start?

This "10 W SMPS" has 400 W continuous, 600 W peak output power, 8 % drop at full load, resonant, with overload protection and inrush current limiter. And this PCB fulfils the isolation requirements of a Class II device. It took about 4 weeks to develop.
good work pafi. 400w continous. and the loss at low power . this is smps for audio have you a solution? with ir2153

Status
Not open for further replies.