High voltage hookup wire

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I am in the planning stages for an 845 SET amp. The power supply will be near 1100 Volts and will require hook-up wire that can safely carry the voltage. Any suggestions on the wire to use and where to get it by the foot ?

Same for caps... any good sources of 1.5 to 2 KV caps ? I know I can use a series of 2 or 3 caps to get the right voltage, but using 1 cap would be nice.

Use COAX

I have used coax in many occasions to carry 3000V. Just rip out the inner conductor from RG58 or smaller out of the breaded shield ..... You can also leave the shield on, unconnected, isolated through some crimp socket.

simple, cheap, effective and safe!

Just looked closer at the Belden specs for RG58. There are multiple version of RG58, and not all of them can carry high voltage. The common denominator is solid Polyethylene PE.
The Belden 8240, 8259, 9201 and 9310 are rated 1400V RMS. All the other RG58 variants have foamed Polyethylene and are specced at 300V.
Another great lookup table from Belden:
http://www.belden.com/pdfs/03Belden_Master_Catalog/06Coaxial_Cables/06.3_15.pdf

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.