78xx pin compatible OpAmp-based MOSFET series regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This regulator has been an on-off project, for over half a year and I think its time to "publish" it now.

It is basically a sulzer regulator with led reference and MOSFET pass transistor. Personally I use "logic level" type of International Rectifiers' "HEXFET" in TO-220, for the lower drop-out voltage. MOSFET is located on bottom side facing the PCB.
OpAmp needed is one huge question mark for me... In Proof-Of-Concept prototype I used recycled AD820. For some OpAmps R5 is not needed to operate(for AD820 it was).
R1 and R2 (and resistor "16" if needed for trimming) set the output voltage according to two led reference. Unmarked capacitor is, if needed, located on the bottom side on the lower section of the reg.

The PCB is designed with OrCAD, and the slightly PhotoShopped design is measured 30x11mm. All passives and leds are 0805. 600dpi, mirrored (ready for toner transfer) images are included. The hole for MOSFET's screw is diameter of 6mm.

Not sure what this design is capable of, as I don't have needed measurement equipment. I hope that, someone with sufficient gear, would construct and measure the design properly.

-Antti Kiuas

Attachments

• reg.layout-schematic.gif
    reg.layout-schematic.gif
    17 KB · Views: 294
  • reg.PCB-top.mirror.gif
    reg.PCB-top.mirror.gif
    5.4 KB · Views: 270
  • reg.PCB-bot.mirror.gif
    reg.PCB-bot.mirror.gif
    3.9 KB · Views: 258
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.