Where to buy ferrite cores?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Any ideas on where to buy a few ETD 39mm ferrite cores and bobbins? Type 77 or 78 or equivalent material would be best. I have had no real luck finding a place in the US that sells small quantities.

Farnel has some avaible as "export only" and I believe there is a $25 s/h fee possible as well. CWS seems to have only the E cores for sale, not the type with the round bobbins (ETD style like I need). I normally go to amidon for ferrite but they don't sell ETD cores sadly.

Does every one just reuse cores out of other power supplies?

Where do you get the yellow tape? Is something like this about right? JVCC EGPF-01 Kapton Polyimide Film Tape (1 mil) at FindTape.com

There seems to be a shortage of small order companies...

Amidon is the only one offhand.

Newark stocks a variety of ferrites and such.

You might get lucky at the surplus places... Electronic Goldmine and All Electronics come to mind. All Electronics recently went out of stock of some rather large toroids, which go for about $30 from other suppliers (and it looks like Nebraska Surplus follows the same pricing). I got a bunch of 'em for $3.50 each. :)

Tim

Here are some pics of what I have, I hope they transfer as it might be a large file.
IMG  I hope this works, I have a bunch of them. Mavric

Thanks for all the replys!

I contacted MTL distribution and am waiting for a quote. I have had very positive experiances with amidon as well but they don't sell ETD cores sadly.

Hopefully MTL can supply what I need. I am actually surprised it is so difficult to get an E shaped ferrite core new. I would have expected more common suppliers would carry some but I see that they are hard to find in small quantities.

I did not because they did not have quite what I needed. They seem to sell the ETD39 core but no bobbins. And they sell an ETD49 core set with bobbin but this is a little larger than what I wanted. Also, they don't seem to have the 3C94 material that I wanted.

For my application (a 250w adjustable SMPS), the ETD39 seems to fit well. I also like the ETD39 because the winding window is just over an inch wide, so I can use normal 1" wide tape.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.